Beagles are those small family dogs which were raised to chase hares and deer, thanks to the amazing sense of small that the breed has. In addition to that, Beagles are highly energetic dogs with long floppy ears that have immense stamina and endurance.
When it comes to food, a beagle doesn’t know where to stop. It can keep on eating for the whole day if not supervised properly. A beagle would not be too attentive or picky towards the taste of the food, as long as it gets the food to eat.
This is why, you, the owner of the Beagle need to be extra cautious on what food your little dog is eating so that it gets a continuous supply of nutritional elements which are required for its energetic performances throughout the day.
1. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Beagle Adult Dry Dog Food
2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food, Whitefish & Sweet Potato
3. Wellness CORE Natural Reduced Fat Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Turkey & Chicken
4. Dr. Harvey’s Oracle Grain-Free Formula Dog Food
5. Acana Regionals Meadowland for Dogs
6. Brothers Complete Turkey Meal and Egg Advanced Allergy Formula
7. Horizon Legacy Adult Grain Free Formula
8. Great Life Grain and Potato Free Dog Food, Chicken Formula
9. Wellness TruFood Baked Blends Natural Grain Free Dry Raw Dog Food
10. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
While buying the beagles food, you will have to remember a few important things about the breed. With approximately 200 million scent receptors, this breed of dogs has a remarkable sense of smell.
Also, beagles are more energetic than other breeds which make them burn through calories much faster than other breeds. Lastly, Beagles are more prone to allergies than any other breed. Knowing these, you need to ensure that the dog for beagles has the following:
- High calorie content
- High protein content with minimum 18% protein
- Ingredients which are chemical in nature and have strong odor
- Contains higher ratios of Omega 6 and Omega 3 as that is required for a healthy and shiny coat
- Does not contain dairy products
- Contains 10% to 20% crude fat
- Does not contain grain or gluten which could lead to allergies
Of all the products that are available for beagles, I have reviewed the most popular ones on grounds of the points that are mentioned above. Important aspects of a Beagle food chart are protein content, fat content, vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids.
These are the points, basis which the following products are reviewed on. I suggest buying the best product for the Beagles as that would ensure there is no dearth in the cheerfulness of this active and friendly dog.
The first that is worth mentioning about the Royal Canin Adult Dog Food Health Nutrition is the exclusively shaped kibbles which need to be chewed for long. The longer chewing time controls the food intake and helps the pooch maintain ideal body weight. The EPA and DHA enriched formula helps in a shinier coat and a sharper brain and eyesight for the dog.
- Distinctive shape of the kibbles makes it easy to chew
- Strengthen bones and promotes joint health
- Good for all skin types
- Helps in controlling food intake
- Available in two different sizes – 6 lbs and 30 lbs bags
- Cannot be fed to Beagles that are less than 12 months of age
- Contains wheat, corn and wheat gluten
Royal Canin has the reputation of formulating pet food dogs as per the specific requirements of the breed. With this product, there is no exception to this as well. The Royal Canin Adult Dog Food Health Nutrition is categorically formulated for Beagles, which makes this a highly recommended product in this review.
The recipe of the Wellness Complete Health Dog Food contains whitefish and sweet potato that plays an instrumental role in promoting healthy skin, coat and digestive health. Whitefish serves as a potent source of Omega 3 fatty acid which is very essential for the health of the skin and the coat. The additions of essential vitamins and minerals help in strengthening the immune system as well.
- 100% natural product
- Omega 3 fatty acids promotes shiner coat and healthy skin
- Supports digestive health
- Strengthens the immune system of the dog
- Does not contain any artificial flavors, fillers, preservatives or colors
- Manufactured in the USA
- Cannot be fed to puppies that are less than 1 year of age
Backed by the Wellness Guarantee, this product is all set to provide a balanced nutrition to your Beagle and keep him energetic all throughout the day.
If the taste buds of the Beagle do not get satisfied with the regular taste of dry dog food, this turkey and chicken containing formula is the best thing to try. The meat of real Turkey and chicken not only enhances the taste of the dog food but also serves as a rich source of protein and essential minerals and vitamins for the dog. The food is packed with meat, and real fruits and vegetables like spinach, carrots and apples.
- Made with all natural ingredients
- Real turkey and chicken based formula
- Grain-free formula
- Does not contain any artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, meat by-products and fillers
- Made in USA
- Backed by Wellness guarantee
- Cannot be used for Beagle puppies
This antioxidant-rich product also contains impressive CFUs of probiotics which makes it the ideal product to promote the optimal health of dogs, especially Beagles.
Dr. Harvey Dog Food Grain-Free Formula is best for those who want to give homemade food to their dogs but cannot do that due to lack of time. The ready to eat food just needs water to be added before getting served in the bowl to make the best beagle puppy diet.
The food contains 29% crude protein and 14% crude fat which makes it a very potent source of protein that is required for muscle building overall well-being of dogs. The list of ingredients include sardines and salmons which are potent sources of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids that is required for skin and coat health.
- Grain-free formula
- Easy to prepare – just needs water to be added
- Can be fed to dogs of all ages
- Made in USA
- Not available in large sized bags
Without any synthetic ingredients, this product is ideal for dogs that do not like the chewing of those dry dog foods much. I recommend this one for those owners who are very busy to cook a hearty meal for their beloved pet.
The formula used for making the Acana Regionals Meadowland for dogs contains everything that is required by adult dogs to maintain a healthy well-being. While protein is supplied by the meat muscles used in the recipe, vitamins and minerals are derived from kidneys, livers and tripe.
The use of real animal cartilages and bones makes the dog food potent with calcium and phosphorous as well. All the ingredients of the product are produced locally and by 100% natural means.
- Contains 70% meat that offer 33% crude protein
- Contains 17% crude fat
- Made with locally sourced ingredients and packaged in USA facility
- Tasty and healthy dog food
- Infused with free dried liver of chicken
- Does not contain grains or starchy foods
- Small sized bags not available
A bowl full of the dog food contains freshwater fish, locally produced vegetables and fruits, farm-raised chicken and turkey and many other natural ingredients, and that is why I have added this product in this list of best dry food for beagles.
Best for allergic dogs, the Brothers complete turkey meal and egg advanced allergy formula can be given to dogs of every age group. With more than 90% animal protein in the ingredients, this food is most suited for muscle building and healthy sustenance of dogs of all sizes and breeds.
The formula does not contain potato or grain which is makes it the best friend for dogs with allergies. The major ingredient of the product is whole eggs and Turkey meal which makes the otherwise healthy food tasty as well.
- Grain and GMO free formula
- Can be fed to dogs of all sizes – from 6 lbs to 100 lbs
- Does not contain any artificial color, flavor or preservatives
- Probiotics and Digestive enzymes promote digestives health
- Omega 3 derived from whole cell blue algae which is purer than any other source
- Contains high portions of Omega 6 which promotes better skin and shinier coat
- The product is a bit expensive
Although it is bit heavy on the pocket, the healthy and tasty formula of this dog food is ideal for those who have many dogs of different breeds and sizes in their house. The anti-allergen formula is highly recommended for dogs with sensitive skin that is prone to allergies. All in all, it is a great product and good value for money.
The innovative formula of the Horizon Legacy Adult Grain Free Formula provides all the required nutrients to the dogs. The product is made with fresh human grade meat which makes it a protein-rich diet for dogs, especially adult Beagles. 420kcal/cup provides the required amounts of energy to highly energetic dogs likes Beagles.
- Formula does not contain any grains, potato or tapioca
- Contains a lot of human grade meats, real fruits and vegetables
- Naturally preserved without any artificial color or preservatives
- Powerful antioxidant help in developing the immune system
- Presence of naturally sourced probiotics promote GI health
- Cost effective product
- Small-sized bags for testing not available
- Not recommended for puppies
It may not have all those jazzy ingredients but when it comes to provide a fully0nutritional meal to the dog, the Horizon Legacy Adult Grain Free Formula is probably the best pick.
Great Life is a dog food manufacturer that believes that quality is their number one ingredient. This has made them produce some of the best and quality dog products that are seen in the market. The Grain and potato free dog food with chicken formula is another example of quality dog food from Great Life which makes ideal dog food for hunting beagles.
Why the Great Life Dog Food is considered the best food for Beagles?
Beagles are among the most popular and sought-after breeds of small size dogs. These little dogs are highly energetic and loves leading an active lifestyle. Beagles are foodies and they love eating throughout the day.
Hence, ensuring the adequate nutrition turn a bit challenging as these dogs can get filled up eating unhealthy foods and by the time you are serving it the staple, it is overfilled to accept that serving.
While choosing the foods for Beagles, great life dog food is one option that you can opt for with confidence.
Foods that are made with 100% natural and organic ingredients
The great life dog food gets the endorsement of the Vets as this food is made with 100% natural and organic ingredients that ensures adequate nutrition for the Beagles. It includes high quality protein at the ideal extent that supports the specific nutritional needs of the dogs for leading an active lifestyle.
Foods that comes free of grain, gluten and artificial additives
Another wonderful fact about this food is that it never involves the use of ingredients that includes grains and gluten as well as it is completely free of artificial flavors, taste and preservatives. Thus, serving this food to your canine pet, you can escape the health threats that the serving of these ingredients is likely to trigger in dogs. Thus, pet owners consider this food as beneficial and completely safe for the beagles.
As it comes up from the reviews on the Great Life dog Food, this food never triggers adverse health effects and most importantly, dogs love this food as it includes actual chicken and meat. Hence, if you are looking for food for the Beagles that will meet its nutritional needs and will come healthy, you will hardly have a better alternative to these foods.
The grain free formula also contains loads of probiotics, vitamins, minerals and enzymes which makes it a holistic diet for dogs of all ages. The kibbles are highly digestible and are loaded with freeze-dried ingredients for maximum freshness.
- Grain and potato free formula
- Good for dogs of all life stages
- Made from natural ingredients
- Great for optimal health of dogs
- Sourced and manufactured in the USA
- Backed by 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Contains tapioca which is a low grade filler
The concentration of healthy carbohydrates, proteins and amino acids make this product a very healthy food choice for dogs of all age groups. The grain free formula is good for dogs with allergies too.
The picture on the packet of the Wellness TruFood baked blends natural grain free dry raw dog food pretty much tells what is inside the dog food. The product is stuffed with super foods like chia seeds and kale, real meat and liver, probiotics, plant nutrients and much more.
If you want a full-fledged nutritional meal for your pooch, there is nothing that could match this one. The kibbles are carefully blended and baked in small batches which help the goodness of the ingredients to get retained to the fullest.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Does not contain any harmful fillers, flavors or meat by-products
- The food has variants especially made for different age groups
- Available in 3 different flavors
- Available in 4 different sizes – 2 lbs, 3 lbs, 10 lbs and 18 lbs bags
- Made in North America
- Could not find any
This is one of the top contenders in the list of best dog food for Beagles that I have seen off late. You can feed you pup as well as the adult dogs with this food which will improve their energy levels, skin health, cardiac health, hip and joint health and much more.
The Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog food is a fry food for adult dogs, made totally with natural products, and contains no gluten, wheat by products, meat byproducts or artificial substances. This one is prepared to make digestion easy, as it contains probiotics and prebiotics, and has a blend of digestive enzymes and natural flavors, with essential botanical extracts for best effects.
Loaded with protein, it contains all the extracts and natural use of real lamb in making it, and thus it is a tasty and easy to digest food for dogs of all breeds who are adults.
- Made from real lamb
- Contains digestive elements for easy digestion and absorption
- Fir for daily feeding
- Contains no artificial agents, gluten or meat by-products
- Not suitable for puppies
Overall the food is a nice election for average daily feeding, and being made of all natural ingredients and enzymes and probiotics mixed, it will be easy to get absorbed in the system and increase stamina.
How much should a beagle eat?
Beagles love to eat, eat and eat. It is thus very important that you keep a check on the amount of food that is being consumed by the friendly dog, failing which you will have a dog which is overweight. The rule of the thumb is that an adult Beagle should eat 45 calories per pound of body weight. An overweight beagle diet would require the dog to take about 35-40 calories per pound of body weight though.
How many times should I feed my Beagle?
For Beagle puppies, 3 meals a day are good to go. This is applicable if the weight of the puppy is less than 6 pounds and it is less than 10 weeks old. As the puppy grows into an adult, you will need feeding him twice a day. Do not forget to keep a check on the amount of the food though.
What is the best dog food for Beagles?
There are many dog foods which are good for Beagles. Basis the products that are reviewed, I recommend brands like Wellness, Brothers and Royal Canin to give the best diet for beagles.
How many calories does a Beagle need daily?
Beagle puppies that are under 1 year need 55 calories per pound of body weight and adult Beagles need 45 calories per pound of body weight.
Which foods are Beagles allergic to?
Beagles, like other dogs cannot stand artificial flavors and coloring agents in the food. Many beagles are also allergic to dairy products, grains like wheat and soy. Some of them might be even allergic to chicken as well. Any good food for beagles does not contain any of these though.
Video: What a Beagle Will Do for Food
All the products reviewed here are good in terms of nutritional values and promoting overall health of the pooch. The unavailability of small sized bags of certain dog foods can be a concern for few dog owners as they may not want to spend a lot of money on large bags without knowing if their beloved pet would like the taste of the food or not.
Otherwise, these products are excellent for your Beagle or any other breed. I have tried to be as neutral as possible while reviewing these and hope to have been able to put up a true picture of the products in front of you. It is your time to act now and order for the best product for your pet that deserves nothing but the best.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.