Top 5 Dog Food for Boxers
Latest Update: June 30, 2017
- Age Range Description
- Item Dimensions
- Item Weight
- Special Ingredients
- Our editors rating
- Price range
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Puppy Food
- 25.5 x 17 x 5 in
- 30 lbs
- Delicious, protein-rich, Deboned Chicken
- Wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- No chicken by-product meals, no corn, wheat or soy
- 8.0 of 10
- Wellness CORE Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
- 24 x 16 x 5.5 in
- 26.4 lbs
- Grain Free
- Made only in the USA
- Contains only premium, all natural ingredients
- Protein rich, made with premium chicken, turkey & salmon
- 9.0 of 10
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Puppy Food
- 16 x 4.8 x 24.5 in
- 30.6 lbs
- All natural
- Made only in the USA
- No wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products, artificial flavors
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- 8.8 of 10
- Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Dry Dog Food for Puppy
- 26 x 4 x 17 in
- 26.8 lbs
- Made with real roasted meat and a blend of protein sources
- Vegetables and fruits deliver antioxidants
- 8.8 of 10
- Orijen Large Breed Dry Puppy Food
- 25.4 lbs
- Limited ingredient and single-source protein
- Fresh meats, organs, and cartilage
- 8.4 of 10
All dogs ideally should receive a high quality diet. Your boxer dog requires a balanced diet, whether you are feeding them raw food, dry kibble or wet food. Finding the best dog food for your boxer can be difficult, but it is worth it in the end.
All dogs react differently to dog food, so ensure that you are monitoring your boxer when trying out a new food to ensure their digestive system agrees with it. Learning more about what dry dog food options are available is a good start to help your boxer dog have a healthy life.
1. Orijen Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food
2. Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Bison & Venison)
3. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Sweet Potato & Fish Formula
4. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Boxer Adult Dry Dog Food
5. Eukanuba Breed Specific Adult Dry Dog Food
6. Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food
7. Orijen Puppy Food
8. Taste of the Wild Puppy Food
9. Wellness Puppy Food
10. Wellness CORE Large Breed Puppy Dog Food
11. Blue Buffalo Puppy Food
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Boxers are very active dogs and require a diet that is high in protein, vitamins and minerals. Boxers are also known for their compact face – which means the size and shape of the kibble matters. Your boxer might have allergies and it is important to avoid food that triggers a reaction.
In order to get the best dry dog food for boxers you might have to spend a little extra cash. In the long run, it is better to spend money on quality food because it can help deter other health issues. The cheaper the dog food, the lower quality the ingredients will likely be. The exception are the products discussed in this article. They combine low price and good quality.
Try looking for a dog food that have 30% or higher protein and doesn’t include fillers. The following reviews will help you with choosing a top rated dog food for boxers.
Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food is known to be a well-balanced and better than average dry dog food option. It is high in protein and low in carbs.
- Contains fresh meat ingredients
- Contains fresh vegetables
- Grain free – better for dogs
- Contains probiotics which are good for gut bacteria
- Contains pea ingredients – which have the potential for stomach irritation
- Amazing meat content – contains chicken, fish and herring. The more meat content, the less filler.
- Made in Canada – Dog food made in Canada follows higher quality assurances than food made in China.
- Never recalled – this product has never faced a recall.
Orijen Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food is very well regarded. It would be an excellent choice to feed your adult boxer dog. Probably one of the best dry food options on the market.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Bison & Venison) is also regarded as a high quality dry dog food. It leans more towards the plants instead of meat content but is still a good choice.
- Contains minerals that help with protein absorption
- Contains flaxseed which is healthy and makes coats shiny
- Good balance of protein, fat and carbs
- Contains brewer’s yeast – which have the potential for allergic reactions if your boxer is allergic to yeast
- Good value – lower in price than comparable dry dog food options but still high quality.
- One recall – in 2012 this product was recalled for salmonella
- Variety of meat content – this product contains beef, lamb, boar and fish content.
This dry dog food option is very well balanced and is a great bang for your buck. I would recommend it over supermarket dog food any day.
This is a very popular dry dog food option that combines sweet potato and fish ingredients. It also contains many healthy oils and is low in saturated fat.
- Does not contain grains
- No added flavouring or dyes
- Good for dogs with sensitive digestion due to limited ingredient list
- Natural Balance has undergone 17 pet food recalls
- Contains omega fatty acids that helps keep coats shiny
- Limited ingredient list which is supposed to help keep allergic reactions low
Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient buy neurontin canadian pharmacy Diets Dry Dog Food – Sweet Potato & Fish Formula is a good choice for your boxer dog. This would be a good dry food to try out if your boxer dog has food sensitivities since it is supposed to be good for animals with allergies. It does not contain any grain which is known as fillers without nutritional value.
ROYAL CANIN is a well-regarded pet food brand. They have tailored a dry dog food specifically to the boxer breed. Boxer dogs have a lot of muscle to maintain, and this option markets itself to assist with maintain their muscle mass.
- Tailored to boxer dogs – including making kibble easy to pick up for boxers
- Focused on keeping a good muscle mass on boxers
- Nutrition for cardiac health
- Lower amount of protein compared to other leading dry dog food
- Contains brewer’s yeast which some dogs are allergic to
- Contains gluten and wheat products – not good for boxers with sensitivities to wheat
- Contains antioxidants which are great for cellular development
- Meant for adult dogs, not boxer puppies.
- Royal Canin hasn’t had a recall since 2007
Overall this dry dog food is well regarded. I would recommend it for boxers that don’t have a lot of food sensitivities because of the brewer’s yeast, gluten and wheat. Bonus that it is tailored to the boxer metabolism and facial structure.
This brand also has a boxer specific dog food option. It was developed to address unique health aspects that boxer dogs have including cardiac issues and muscle build.
- Engineered specifically for boxer dogs
- Contains L-carnitine and natural taurine which is good for boxer’s hearts
- Has added ingredients to help reduce tartar
- Lots of grain in this product
- Primarily made with grain – not all dogs can eat grain
- Good for teeth cleaning
- Supposed to help hips and joint stay health
Overall this is a healthy and good option for your boxer. I would recommend this option if your boxer has tartar build up because it is supposed to help reduce tartar.
Eukanuba realises that different sized dogs have different needs. Typically larger breed require more protein to keep their high activity lifestyle in balance.
- Has fish oil which is reported to grow smarter dogs
- Contains omega fatty acids which improve the coats
- High in healthy fibers such as beet pulp to improve digestion
- Contains corn meal – which is a filler ingredient
- Made specifically for large breed dogs
- Eukanuba is a subsidiary of Iams
- Chicken is the main meat by-product in this food
This is a good option dog food for boxer puppies. It contains many healthy ingredients and is specifically designed with large breeds in mind.
Orijen is known for its high quality dog food. This puppy food for boxers option is said to have “human grade” ingredients which is rarely said regarding pet food. It is also very high in protein which is good for a growing puppy.
- Contains no grains
- 38% protein and 17% carbs making it a high protein option for feeding foods
- Tasty flavour of chicken and turkey liver (hormone free!)
- Lots of fresh or raw ingredients (healthier)
- Not available worldwide (but easy to get in Canada, USA and EU)
- Made in Alberta Canada
- Good for dogs prone to diabetes or obesity due to the low sugar carbs in the food
This is a very high quality puppy food for boxers. It contains organic and hormone free ingredients and is high in protein. The best food for boxers should contain natural ingredients. It is more expensive however, but you are paying for the quality.
The Taste of the Wild brand intends to feed your puppy food that would be similar to what dogs would eat if they were in the wild. It is also known to be the cheaper option in the high-quality pet food world.
- Grain free
- Mix of fish, fruit and vegetable content
- Made in America
- Less expensive than some competitors
- Hard to find outside of America
- Company is owned by Diamond Pet Food Inc.
- Hormone and antibiotic-free meats used in food
Overall the Taste of the Wild Puppy Food is a cheaper but good option for your boxer. I would recommend it if your puppy enjoys the taste of fish as that is a primary ingredient.
The Wellness Puppy Food for Boxers line contains tasting meant such as chicken and salmon. It is known as a more natural option in comparison with some other puppy brands.
- No wheat, corn, soy or artificial flavours, colours and preservatives
- Made in America – higher regulations than developing nations
- High in carbs in comparison to other brands (protein is typically the main component in dog food)
- Focus on a well-rounded all natural ingredient list
- Many ingredients added to assist with strong teeth development, good muscle growth and healthy brain development
This food comes very well recommended. For those of you who like a more natural option, this dry dog food has no additives and no fillers.
This dry puppy option is great if you are looking for a high food proteins selection. It did have a recall in 2012, but this brand still has an excellent reputation amongst consumers.
- No grains
- Includes DHA which helps with brain development
- Made in America – higher quality control standards
- Developed with large puppy breeds in mind
- Was recalled in 2012
- Made with GMO-free ingredients
- Uses the term “human-grade” to describe the quality of the dog food
This brand of dog food is well regarded as an all-natural, real meat dog food. It is high in protein which is excellent for boxer puppies and does not contain gluten, wheat, egg, dairy or preservatives – which makes it probably the best food for boxers with sensitive stomachs.
- Made in America
- Contains no corn, wheat, soy or artificial preservatives, flavors or colors
- Only contains real chicken – not by-products (by-products are usually the least protein rich parts of animals)
- Has been sued over misleading advertising in the past
- Contains anti-oxidants including cranberries, blueberries, pomegranate, pumpkin, spinach and apples
- Produced in a “cold-form” method which retains more nutrients than a hotter process
This brand of healthy puppy food contains many good ingredients. The fact that it uses chicken meat and not by-product is very good. It is reasonably priced and your boxer puppy would likely enjoy the variety of flavours.
Getting your puppy off to the right start with the best food for boxers is critical. You will need to feed your puppy twice as much food as you would for an adult. You will want to choose a dog food option that is high in protein (especially meat protein) and also includes fruits and vegetables.
If possible, it is better to feed your boxer puppy smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to two large meals. Another important tip is to track your dog’s weight. You don’t want them gaining too much weight or too little weight.
Allergies: If your boxer has allergies to dog food you should make sure their dog food isn’t the reason they are getting sick. The best food for boxers with allergies are ones that have the least ingredients. You will likely need to try out a few types to see what your dog is allergic to. Typical allergies include; wheat, gluten, egg, dairy and corn.
Frequency: Puppies require a more frequent feeding schedule while full grown adult boxers can be fed twice a day.
How much to feed a boxer puppy?
Most would recommend feeding a puppy several times throughout the day. Generally if you can feed them 4-5 times in smaller meals that will help them to grow and maintain energy through the day.
How to feed a boxer puppy?
Consider measuring out food portions in small cups to ensure that they are getting the same amount at meal times. Extremely young puppies should also consider having their kibble soaked to aid with digestion.
The best dog food for your boxer is whatever works best for their system. Read through the recommendations listed above to determine which brand off boxer food you want your boxer to try. If you run into any problems while trying out new foods, be sure to take your boxer to the vet to ensure they are healthy.
What dog food is best for boxers?
Generally the best food for boxers is a dog food brand that is made of more natural ingredients. If you can find a type of dog food that specializes in quality, natural ingredients, you can enjoy a better form of dog food for your pet.
Video: Best Food For Boxers – Eliminate Allergies
Choosing the best food for boxers can be difficult but I don’t want you to worry too much. Most boxers are happy to try out new foods and will enjoy the process of finding their brand (as long as they aren’t allergic to the different ingredients). When you find a dog food that works for your boxer be sure to stick with it. If every in doubt – contact your veterinarian.
If you’re interested in reading similar articles, here’s good one on Grain Free Dog Treats.
Worried about the health of your dog. Then read more about your pet: