Are you struggling in finding the best dog food for English bulldog? Have you searched and not found anything? Well, the bulldogs are considered to be medium size breeds that need to be fed twice a day. Giving small portions to the dogs is quiet enough for them.
But what is actually the right food for them? Since they put on a weight quiet easy, you need to provide the adequate source of nutrients for your dog. Bulldogs often have problems with hip dysplasia and thus the need of the best food for them.
Today’s bulldog is different from the dog that was used for bear baiting and bull in England. It is more gentle, kind, and a perfect family member. So, you need to provide the best dog food for English bulldog puppies if you want your dog to grow into a strong and independent one. Here is a guide that will help you choose the best dog food for your English bulldogs.
Even though the English bulldogs may be small, they are really muscular, so they need a proper intake of proteins in their food, recommending the fish as a good source of proteins. There are some products that help feed the dogs right.
So, food recommendations and guidelines are quite simple.
1. CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors
2. The Honest Kitchen Dog Food Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food
3. Royal Canin Breed Bulldog Food Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
5. Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
6. Merrick 1 Count Backcountry Big Game Recipe
7. Fromm Four Star Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Game Bird Recipe, 4-Pound Bag
8. Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast Grain Free Dry Dog Food, 28-Pound Bag
9. Artemis Pet Food Company Fresh Mix Adult Dog Formula 14 Lb
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Since the bulldogs are omnivores they need a high quality diet and nutrition ingredients. They need high sources of fruits, proteins, carbohydrates and vegetables.
The male English bulldog weighs 45-55 pounds while the female up to 45 pounds. It is good to remember that the bulldogs have low energy, so the calorie intake has to be higher. They can be so lazy sometimes so you even can’t get them out of the bed.
As an owner you need to pay attention on the weight gain and the food intake, avoid starches, sugars, or corn in the daily food of your dog. Instead you can feed it with sweet potatoes, brown rice, or other healthy food.
Bulldogs tend to grow slowly so they won’t reach physical maturity until 2 and half years. They have short noses and require a daily exercise, like every other dog. The average caloric intake has to be 1358 calories, for the younger dogs, and less caloric intake for the older ones or the neutered ones. Depending on the metabolism and the activity, some bulldogs may require more than 1358 calories daily.
The growing puppy bulldogs consume around 1451 calories daily, or if they lie down and exercise a little, they might need less than that.
The English bulldogs can develop meat allergies, so this makes the whole situation difficult to manage. The food sources are now limited and you may find yourself in a struggle with choosing the best english bulldog food. Giving your dog whatever to eat may lead to excessive gas, inflammatory bowel disease, pain, itching, cardiac and respiratory issues and problems with the breathing in a hot weather.
So, the nutrition should be supplemented with probiotics and proteins mostly to avoid these unpleasant issues.
According to The Association of American Feed Control Officials, the minimum intake of proteins for growing bulldog puppies must be 22%, and 18% for adult dogs’ diet.
The fat is also an important ingredient in the dog’s food which serves as an energy source and must be at least 8% for bulldog puppies and 5% of adult bulldogs. But most of the dogs today have more fat in their daily intake.
Because the bulldogs are growing slowly, eating a large and the best brand of dog food for English bulldogs could benefit them. The ratio of phosphorus and calcium is maintained at accurate levels, so the bulldogs can grow slowly, and to not have joint or arthritis issues later.
Since the English Bulldogs are slightly specific when it comes to their feeding, you need to know how to do that. First you need to make sure that you have the best dry food for English bulldogs and then start feeding it.
- First talk to your breeder – ask about the nutrition sheet, what type of food to give to your dog, how much and how often;
- Slowly turn into the new diet – you have to change the diet of your dog slowly; feed the dog with highly protein, natural and organic food; check if the food is for puppies from the Nutritional Adequacy Statement on the back of the package; you can use dry or wet food- depends on you; if you can’t make the decision look for some recommendations;
- Determine the quantity of the food – by observing the weight of your bulldog you can find the optimal quantity for feeding; the guidelines are just a beginning so you can know from where to start and towards where you should go;
- Decide how often you will feed your bulldog – the little puppy needs to eat 2-3 times a day, so you need to be careful in overeating or giving less food; dogs are not eating every day at the same time, so you need to learn about those habits;
- Dog treats – they should be used as a reward for some good action and behavior of your dog, and no more than 10% inclusion in the diet and nutrition. The dog treats are not considered as food since they don’t feed the organism of the puppy. If you give the puppy these treats, won’t be filled up and satisfied until the next meal. The treats should be given in a smaller quantity in order to have healthy effects for your dog.
- Raw food – it is difficult for digestion for a young puppy and can contain some harmful bacteria that your dog is not ready yet to fight it or digest the food. So, avoid raw food since the immune system is not completely developed at the young ones.
- Commercial dog food – contains growth hormones, antibiotics, and toxic medical byproducts, body parts of diseased animals, leftovers of sick animals, harsh chemicals and road kill. This type of food is really bad for your English Bulldog, especially for the English Bulldog puppies.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Bulldogs?
In order to make the right choice for your English Bulldog, you need to consult your breeder or to make some research. Since these types of dogs are different than the others, you need to buy the adequate product. I suggest you to look at these products, with given descriptions below and decide on the best food for your dog. These are rich in proteins, and grain-free products.
Among those products are:
- CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors;
- The honest kitchen dog food Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food;
- Royal Canin Breed Bulldog Food Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult dry dog Food;
- Purina Pro Plan Focus Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food;
- Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food;
- Merrick 1 Count Backcountry Big Game Recipe;
- Fromm Four Star Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Game Bird Recipe, 4-Pound Bag;
- Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast Grain Free Dry Dog Food, 28-Pound Bag;
- Artemis Pet Food Company Fresh Mix Adult Dog Formula 14 Lb;
The CANDIDAE Life Stages Product contains 6 dry foods for dogs, for all the stages. Among the ingredients of the product are turkey meal, lamb meal, brown rice, rice bran, peas, potatoes, chicken fat, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, white rice, fish meal, natural flavor, rosemary extract, etc.
Here is a table with the Estimated Nutrient Content by the statistics.
Fat Protein Carbs
Guaranteed Analysis 15% 24% NA
Dry Matter Basis 16% 27% 49%
Calorie Weight Basis 34% 23% 43%
- It is also a probiotic product that improves the digestive system at your dog.
- It is a rich source of inulin, which is a soluble dietary fiber, needed in the dog’s organism.
- This is my recommendation in your everyday feeding the English bulldog, since the product is rich in proteins, and is on a dry basis.
- Consult a qualified veterinary counselor in choosing the right food, since some recipes are given higher or lower estimated values.
- It has middle rating from the reviewers.
- Contains a lot of carbohydrates.
So, this product is definitely one for your choice.
This type of product includes 5 dehydrated dog foods that contain sweet potatoes, organic kelp, organic quinoa, vitamin D3 supplement, potassium iodide, vitamin E supplement, etc. So, this product is definitely one of the best when it comes for making a decision.
- Rich in essential amino acids required to sustain life.
- Gluten free product and high in proteins – 12%-18%.
- Naturally rich in dietary fiber and beta carotene.
- Rich source of calcium and phosphorus – used as emulsifier to disperse fat more evenly in water.
- It is a superior dog’s food.
- The ingredients like copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite and thiamine mononitrate don’t really have much effects.
- Can have different ratio of fat and carbohydrates from the other dog foods.
- Contains complex carbohydrates.
I would suggest you to try this one first, and see the results at your bulldog.
This product is an exclusive kibble for every breed. It is a combination of Royal Cannin with the practical experience of Breeders. People are using this product, so we have a lot of satisfied customers. Since the breed is specific, you need to use a specific food for that purpose.
- It is easy to chew and grasp
- Supports joint health and bone health
- 100% Balanced and complete nutrition
- Helps to reduce the stool odor
- Helps in the digestive system and health
- 100% satisfaction
- Rich source of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E, moisture, crude fat, crude protein, ascorbic acid, glucosamine
- It is designed only for English Bulldogs over 12 months
- This product cannot be given to dogs with pancreatitis and hypertriglyceridemia
- Might cause some skin disorders
- If not fed properly the dog can gain weight
This product looks like a suitable food for your English Bulldog.
The dogs love this food. Includes 13 dry dog foods, from which 6 are for all life stages and 7 for adult maintenance. The product contains corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, brewers’ rice, and corn germ meal, animal fat preserved with mixed tocopherols, barley, dried egg product, calcium, and salt. It also contains vitamin E supplement, potassium citrate, etc.
- Great caloric energy
- Balanced nutrition
- It is a preferred component in everyday’s feeding
- High source of proteins
- It contains raw chicken which reduces the meat content in the product
- Contains gluten ingredients
- Lower biological values
- The product can come from almost anywhere since it is not clearly mentioned the origin
- May contain dead or diseased cattle, spoiled supermarket meat or roadkill.
I would suggest you to try the product and make your English Bulldog satisfied and happy.
It is completely natural product for a good diet for your English Bulldog. It is considered to be a good food for dogs with allergies or sensitive digestive system. Contains 6 dry dog foods and ingredients like turkey meal, peas, potatoes, deboned turkey, dried ground potatoes, etc.
- Easy digestible, rich with probiotics and prebiotics
- Nourishes healthy skin with flaxseed
- No artificial additives or fillers
- Complementary canned dog food and complete natural nutrition
- Limited ingredients for food sensitivities
- High quality salmon
- Contains copper sulfate which can be harmful and cause irritation
- Sodium selenite that is even more toxic than the selenium yeast
As any other Wellness dog food, this product is recommendable for your dog since doesn’t contain wheat, corn, gluten, soy or artificial preservatives. Our purpose is to make your dog happy, satisfied and long living.
This product brings a canine diet for your diet with Buffalo, Lamb and Venison Dry Dog Food. Contains high protein kibble and raw meat that is freeze-dried. It is easy digestible and will satisfy the dog’s natural cravings. No trigger allergies or grains. It can be mixed with dry food. No potatoes.
- Grain free kibble, reasonable price, great quality
- 100% made in USA, containing the essential vitamins and blueberries
- No corn, soy or wheat artificial ingredients
- Real whole pieces of raw meat
- Easy to digest and great balance and nutrition
- Omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids for the health of the coat and the skin
- Some dogs may not like it
- May not be suitable for the diet of some dogs
This might be the right choice for your dog. It is my best recommendation for you.
The product is a grain free food, a mixture of quail, turkey, duck, and pheasant, combined with Wisconsin cheese and fresh vegetables and fruits. The food have to be prepared in small batches in order to keep the quality and to ensure the consistency. Really tasty and amazing food.
Provides balanced and complete nutrition to the dogs of every age, offering flavorful meal. Can be also mixed with canned food. It is the 5th generation of family owned and operated artisan pet foods.
- Commitment to quality and consistency
- High nutrients and good digestibility
- Complete and balanced nutrition
- Developed blend of probiotics that improve the digestive health
- Contain potatoes which can be sources of a lot of calories
It is definitely the most suitable dry dog food.
Give your dog more proteins, buy this product. This is the right choice for your dog since the red meat is the first ingredient in it, so the dog gets the required amount of proteins. It also contains bison meat and lamb meat which are rich in amino acids, important for better health. Egg protein is also a consistent ingredient in it.
- The best grain free food for your dog
- High protein levels, antioxidants, helpful omega acids, essential vitamins and minerals
- Digestive enzymes, probiotics and prebiotics
- Your dog might not like it
Your dog’s overall health, muscle mass and energy is achieved with this product. Do not hesitate and buy it immediately. Includes carrots, spinach, apples and blueberries.
The product provides healthy pet and a total care for it. This food balances the proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals and gives a holistic approach of disease prevention. It also helps in the healing process.
Incorporates fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs, digestive enzymes in order to fulfill the nutritional requirements. Contains ingredients like chicken, turkey, potatoes, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, blueberries, spinach, salmon, vitamin E, etc.
- Contains the essential vitamins and minerals
- High in fresh proteins
- Great for coat and skin care
- No chemicals, preservatives or additives
- Your dog might not like it
- It may not be good for the digestion for some of the dogs
I would gladly recommend this product for your dog, since it is a great mixture of all the necessary ingredients. Balanced nutrition.
Video: Feeding English Bulldogs BARF Diet – Bones and Raw Food
As a conclusion I would recommend you to try one of the above given products and see how the life of your English Bulldog will change immediately.
These products include some of the best foods for Older English Bulldog puppies that can improve the health of your puppy. Don’t think anymore, purchase the product immediately.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.
- Best Dog Food for Chihuahua
- Best Dog Food for Pitbulls
- Food for Boxers
- Food for Labs
- Food for Huskies
- Food for French Bulldogs
- Food for Maltese
- Food for American Bulldog
- Food for Yorkies
- Food for Pugs
- Food for Boston Terrier
- Food for Beagles