Maltese dogs are small breeds that belong to the Toy Group. The name of this breed is connected to the Island of Malta where the breed supposedly originated. Maltese dogs are great companions and lovable to be around. That’s why many people choose to bring a Maltese dog home. Taking care of the Maltese dog is essential for its health and wellbeing. In this article we will talk about how to buy and find the best dog food for Maltese and we will review the top products.
1. Royal Canin Maltese 24 Canine Adult Dry Dog Food
2. CESAR Classics Adult Wet Dog Food
3. Halo Spot’s Stew Natural Dry Wholesome Chicken for Small Breed Dogs
4. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Dry Puppy Food
5. Wellness Small Breed Dog Food
6. NUTRO ULTRA Puppy Dry Dog Food
7. Fromm Gold Adult Dog Food Small Breed
8. Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food Formula
9. Diamond Naturals Dry Food Small Breed Formula
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Finding good food for Maltese could be a little challenging. There are a lot of options on the market and all of them claim to be the best. You also want to make sure that you are giving your Maltese the nutrients it needs to stay healthy. In this article we will highlight the main points to which you should pay attention when you are trying to find the best dog food for Maltese:
1. Pay attention to your dog’s age and activity level
These 2 factors will greatly determine the dietary needs of your dog. Dog food is available in different versions to cater for different stages in the dog’s life. A puppy, pregnant or lactating dog will need more calories than an adult dog that it is not having babies for the time being. The best kind of food that you are using now will not stay the same as your dog grows.
2. Talk to your vet
Your vet will provide the correct information regarding your pet’s health and needs. He will notify you of any health problems or complications your dog might be dealing with. He will tell you about the best food for Maltese with allergies and which kinds of food you should stay away from.
3. Don’t believe all the ads
All the dog food brands will claim that they sell only the highest quality of dog food. Don’t believe the talk. Do some research and check the ingredients list to see if they are really up to their claims.
4. Pay attention to your dog’s reaction
Even if you have done your homework and have chosen the best dog food for Maltese, this doesn’t necessarily mean that your dog will agree. Pay attention to any sensitivity or allergic reaction your dog might have. If your dog starts to throw up or develop any kind of adverse reaction then you must switch the food type immediately.
5. Check the label for proximate analysis
This will inform you of the amounts of proteins, fats and fibers per each serving. You should tailor this to suit your dog’s specific needs according to its health condition, age and weight. You are unlikely going to find the calories content on the label but you can always call the company or look online for this information to find the best dog food for Maltese shih tzu.
6. Check that the food is good to eat
This means that the packet or can of food should be intact and sealed. You should also check the expiry date as fats will go rancid with time. Also understand that some of the ingredients expire and become harmful if consumed after the expiry date. You don’t really need to stock up large amounts of food at home as it might not be fresh by the time your Maltese has eaten it all.
Because we understand how hard it is to find the best dog food for Maltese, we decided to review some of the best products on the market so that you can choose the one the best suits your dog’s needs and requirements:
Maltese dogs have compact bodies that differ from the bodies of bigger breeds. They are active and playful by nature and this means that they need some special food that would give their bodies the calories they need to stay healthy.
This top quality Maltese food is considered to be the best dry dog food for Maltese because it is designed to meet all the dietary needs of your Maltese to satisfy its hunger and to keep it healthy. It is suitable for dogs above the age of 10 months.
- Highly palatable which makes it more suitable to address eating issues.
- Contains a lot of dietary ingredients that should keep your Maltese nourished.
- Dogs seem to enjoy its taste.
- The list of ingredients is not in English, so you can’t be really sure what your dog is getting.
Buying high quality food for your dog means that it will stay healthy, active and happy. It is very important to pay attention to what your dog is eating and whether your food is the best dog food for white dogs if you want it to stay in top condition. Wet dog food is highly preferred by Maltese. This particular food is made to cater for the needs of dogs that have a refined taste and special eating requirements.
- Comes in a variety pack that offer 24 servings of Grilled Chicken, Oven Roasted Chicken, Duck and Turkey flavor that your dog will certainly love.
- The food has all the necessary dietary nutrients that are needed by your adult dog in a pate format that is easy to eat and digest.
- It has fortified minerals and vitamins to help your Maltese stay healthy and active.
- It is served in conventional trays with easy peel away seals so that your dog can enjoy its meal wherever it is.
- A complete balanced meal with all the necessary ingredients.
- It is approved by the AAFCO to ensure that your dog is eating the best quality of food.
- Wet food in general is high in water content and your dog might not like the taste.
Small breed dogs have small mouths and shorter digestive tracts. This means that they need special kinds of food that won’t disturb their compact bodies and would still give them the nutrients they need to stay healthy. This food is considered to be the best dog food for Maltese because it is especially designed to meet the nutritional needs of toy and small breeds with a homemade recipe and no preservatives or chemicals added.
- Fortified with minerals, vitamins, probiotics and omega 3 for the small breed active dogs.
- Contain only high quality chicken, eggs and natural vegetables.
- Doesn’t contain any preservatives or colors.
- Doesn’t contain gluten, wheat or corn.
- Doesn’t contain rendered meats, poultry or fish.
- Doesn’t contain plant by-products.
- Suitable for small breeds that have small mouths and short digestive tracts.
- Delicious small sized kibble that is packed with good natural taste.
- This food is fresh to be consumed as soon as possible. It won’t last long in storage.
Puppies need a lot of minerals, vitamins and proteins in order to grow into healthy adult dogs. This is why you should pay extra attention to your puppy’s food if you want it to grow into a healthy happy dog. This puppy food is considered to be the best dog food for Maltese puppy because it is especially designed to promote the growth of muscles in small puppies.
- This dry puppy food contains deboned chicken as the primary and first ingredient which provides the essential protein needed for muscle growth.
- The kibble is of small sizes that are suitable for puppies and smaller breeds.
- It is free from grain and this makes it super delicious to dogs.
- It is gluten free which is important as gluten can cause allergic reaction in some smaller puppies.
- It contains carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries and cranberries for added and highlighted taste.
- Contains no chicken or poultry by product meals.
- Doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients.
- It is especially shaped to remove tartar from the mouth.
- It contains DHA, an essential and important fatty acid that is present in the mother’s milk and is important to promote the growth of your dog’s retina and to increase its learning ability.
- There is a deviation from the list of ingredients provided online and the actual ingredients in the package.
- If your Maltese is allergic to fish then you should probably stay away from this food because it contains fish oil.
Dogs have distinctive tastes when it comes to food. You must choose a type of food that your dog would find delicious, otherwise it won’t eat it and you will have to look for something else. This particular food comes in various taste options and formulas to suit dogs of different ages and this can make it count as the best dog food for Maltese.
- This food comes in 3 different formulas, one for puppies, one for adult dogs and one for senior dogs.
- Each formula is especially designed to cater for the specific needs of each age group regarding the calories count and the nutrients needed.
- Packed with antioxidants and minerals to support your dog’s health.
- Comes in different flavors of turkey, oatmeal and salmon.
- Small kibble size to suit small breed dogs.
- Contains only natural ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any chemicals, colors or preservatives.
- Doesn’t contain any wheat, corn or soy.
- Doesn’t contain any meat by products.
- Made in the USA.
- It shouldn’t be stored for a long time as it will begin to break and form dust food.
- With time it will start to lose its smell and flavour which will make it less appealing to dogs.
Puppies need special food than that given to adult dogs because their bodies are still growing and any deficiency will affect their health on the long run. That is why it is extremely important to choose a high quality puppy food that is made to give your small breed puppy the right nutrients and the suitable calories intake to promote healthy growth.
- Uses three sources of lean protein, farm raised chicken, farm raised salmon and pasture fed lamb to provide your puppy with the necessary proteins, fats and amino acids needed to promote their muscle growth.
- Contains whole brown rice, oats, flaxseed and sunflower oil that are all rich in omega 3 and fatty acids to promote the health the skin and to keep the coat healthy and shiny.
- Contains only healthy and natural ingredients with no artificial components added.
- Salmon and egg contain DHA which is important for your dog’s learning and for the different functions of the brain.
- Contains a blend of foods that are rich in antioxidants like blueberries, cranberries, pomegranate, spinach, tomatoes and carrots that all combine to promote the health of the immune system to keep your small breed puppy healthy.
- Contains the optimal level of calcium to promote the formation of good teeth and bones.
- Packed with the essential elements that would ensure that your puppy will reach its full mental and physical potential.
- Some dogs will develop allergy towards some of the ingredients of this food.
- If your dog starts to throw up or has diarrhea after eating this food, you should immediately discard it.
Small breed dogs have specific dietary needs and it might be hard to find the best dog food for Maltese. They need to get a balanced meal that would keep their energy levels high as they would normally be and they also need to have the right calories intake to stay healthy. When you choose a food brand for your small breed dog, you must make sure that it has all the necessary ingredients to keep your dog healthy and active.
- This dog food contains various sources of protein like duck, chicken meal, fish meal and lamb that would give your dog’s body the essential protein intake for its muscles.
- It contains high fiber content from the pearled barley and brown rice.
- It is packed with vegetables that would provide you little breed dog with the essential minerals and vitamins it needs to stay healthy.
- It is fortified with minerals, vitamins and probiotics to help promote the health of your dog’s immune system.
- It is grain free.
- Some dogs suffer from gas after eating this particular food.
Dogs need reliable sources of protein to stay healthy and to have strong muscles and they also need a good source of easy to digest carbohydrates that would allow them to move and jump. This food can be considered as the best dog food for Maltese because the formula is super balanced to provide your dog with all what it needs to have a healthy life.
- The first ingredient in this food formula is real chicken. This means that it is packed with real lean proteins that are essential for the growth of healthy muscles.
- It contains high quality rice as the primary source of energy. Rice contains easy to digest carbohydrates that your dog needs to stay active.
- It also contains the optimum amount of fibers that your dog needs for the health of its digestive system.
- The food contains crunchy kibble and tasty meaty pieces to satisfy the needs of your dog.
- The kibble is of for small size to suit the small mouths of small breed dogs.
- Some dogs will suffer from bad breath after eating this food.
- Can cause some discomfort if your small breed dog is allergic to any of the ingredients.
Providing your dog with the essential nutrients is essential for its health and growth. For this reason you should always stick to the best and healthiest types of proteins to give to your dog, keeping in mind all the other ingredients it needs to stay healthy and active. The best dog food for Maltese should make this easy.
- Lamb is a great source for healthy protein that would help your dog stay healthy and active.
- This food contains the recommended levels of Vitamin E and selenium that are essential for the mental and physical development of your small breed dog.
- It doesn’t contain wheat, corn or soy.
- This food formula contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that are essential for the health of your dog’s skin and important to keep its coat shiny.
- It is enriched with superfoods that contain enough anti-oxidants to promote the health of your dog’s immune system.
- It is also rich in probiotics that will help your dog with digestion.
- It is not grain free.
- Some dogs feel uncomfortable and suffer from gas after eating this food.
1. How much food does a Maltese puppy need?
It is important to follow the feeding guidelines if you want your small breed puppy to be healthy. Free feeding should be avoided after your puppy is 3 months old. Feeding your Maltese the correct amounts at the right times will ensure that it stays healthy and grows into a healthy adult dog.
Growing puppies will need about 1 to 1.5 ounce of dog food per pound of body weight. If you are giving your puppies manufactured food, then it is recommended to mix 2/3 dry with 1/3 wet food. Your puppy should be fed 4 to 6 times a day because Maltese have very small stomachs so their meals will be small as well.
2. How much food does an adult Maltese need?
An adult dog will usually need half an ounce of food per 1 pound of body weight. If your dog is very active you might want to increase the amount. It is better to feed your dog once per day at dinner time or you can divide this amount into 2 meals per day.
3. How much does a Maltese weigh?
Maltese breeds adult dogs usually weigh between 4 to 7 pounds. This is true for males and females.
4. Do Maltese dogs shed a lot?
Typically they don’t. If you notice unusual shedding and loss of hair then you should take your Maltese to the doctor. It might be having an allergic reaction to the food and you should stick to high quality dog food brands only.
5. What are the health problems that Maltese dogs usually deal with?
Maltese dogs usually live from 15 to 18 years but because their bodies are small they are usually prone to dental issues, fragile bones and eye problems. The Maltese diet should be designed to address these problems. Providing your Maltese with the right food that contains the essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids will help it to stay healthy for a long time.
Maltese are very famous for their friendly personalities making these small breed dogs so lovable and very intelligent and will respond well to new tricks. You need to make sure that your Maltese is properly fed to maintain its mental and physical health.
Finding a high quality food for your Maltese will ensure that it will live a happy long life of companionship and fun. We really recommend that you buy only the best dog food for Maltese if you want it to stay healthy and active.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.