Big puppy dog with perky ears – yes that is a French bulldog. Ranked as the eighth most popular breed in America, French bull dogs have a reputation of being one of the most adaptable and family loving dogs. They will sit with you, sleep with you and follow you everywhere you go. You may buy it for its compact size and loving personality, but its company can only be enjoyed the best when this dog is kept in good health.
A nutritious and wholesome diet for your French companion is absolutely imperative. Below is the guide to show you should select a commercial healthy diet for your French bulldog, including recommendation food for French bulldogs and special considerations.
1. AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula Weight Control Dog Food
2. Premium Edge Healthy Weight I Weight Reduction Formula Adult
3. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Dog Food
4. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Healthy Weight Dog Food, Chicken & Peas
5. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
6. Small Breed Dry Dog Food
7. Nulo Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
8. Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Dog Food
9. Fromm Four Star Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Game Bird Recipe
10. Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Grain Free Chicken
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Although your French dog is still a puppy, you must consider giving him a commercial diet that is formulated specially for small-breed dogs. Small-breed dogs have a faster metabolism and growth rate compared to large-breed puppies, which is why it is essential to provide your puppy with a protein and fat rich diet.
To keep your French dog in good health, it is important to feed them with energy that fuels their development and growth during the early months of their life. A proper diet ensures that they reach their recommended size within 9 months.
Selecting a food formulated for small breeds would contain a nutrient dense food that would not immediately fill their bellies, but would give your dog the required energy. Such food contains a higher quantity of fat compared to large breed food as fat is a more concentrated form of energy.
As all animals, bulldogs require a balance of carbohydrates, fiber, fats and protein in their diet. Protein coming from animal based sources such as meat and organs is the most recommended consideration.
In regard to fats, omega-6 fatty acids and omega 3 fatty acids are considered to be the best sources of fat for it supports coat and skin health. The source of carbohydrate is not really a problem for dogs, but is recommended to come from easy to digest sources like brown rice and oats.
Provided that, a nutrient dense diet should not imply overfeeding your pup. French bulldog diet has a tendency of increasing the weight of your dog, developing the tendency on becoming obese. French bulldogs with a stocky build are at the risk of developing various health problems including weak bones, obesity, difficulty breathing and lethargy.
When you are feeding your French bulldog, always follow the recommendations given on the food package. The total daily meal portion is essential to maintain a healthy digestive system. If your dog is losing weight, regardless of the feeding then you must consider increasing the portion of his daily ration.
1. What should you feed to your French bulldog?
A commercial diet is the most recommended for French bulldog, as it comes with a combination of all the nutrients required in a day for healthy and strong growth.
2. What does the best dog food for French bulldogs contain?
The best food for French bulldogs is rich in fat, protein, fiber and carbohydrates. These essential ingredients are taken from the best sources that are essential for their healthy growth.
3. Is puppy food for French Bulldog different than adult dogs?
Yes, the best puppy food for French bulldog is designed by keeping into consideration their fast rate of metabolism. Adult dogs are able to retain food for a long time, whereas puppies digest food quickly and therefore should be given nutrition in proportion to that.
4. What can French bulldogs eat?
French bulldogs can eat raw food, canned food, homemade meals and dry food.
Product Nutrition Rating
Avoderm Weight Control Dog Food A 5 star
Premium Edge Dog Food A 5 star
Royal Canin Bulldog Food for Adult Dog B 4.5 star
Wellness Complete Health Dog Food A 5 star
Wellness CORE Dry Dog Food A 4 star
Small Breed Dry Dog Food B 4.5 star
Nulo Dog Food A 5 star
Castor and Pollux Organix Grain Free Dog Food A 5 star
Fromm Four Star Dog Food A+ 5 star
Grandma Lucy’s Dog Food A+ 5 star
AvoDerm Natural Brown Rice and Chicken Meal Weight Control Formula gives your small puppy less fat that the adult formula. This weight control formula encourages healthy growth with control weight. It gives your dog just the right amount of energy to stay active and healthy. The high quality use of ingredients ensures provision of ideal nutrients.
This formula comes with antioxidant nutrients that help supports a strong immune system. Avocados, a rich source of omega ensures a healthy coat and skin. It contains no corn no soy or no wheat by product meals.
Ingredients it includes:
- The most important ingredient it comes with is chicken meal. Chicken meal in a commercial diet counts for the best dog food for French bulldogs.
- It comes ground white and brown rice. It is a gluten free substitute for weight gaining wheat flour
- It also contains oatmeal, taken directly from ground oats.
- Another essential ingredient is salmon meal which is at the best source of concentrated protein
- Fish meal obtained from dried, clean and ground tissues of fish cuttings and undecomposed whole fish.
- It contains rice bran, which is an important by-product of whole grain rice.
- Another important ingredient it contains is avocado. But there is a controversy about this ingredient that it may cause toxicity in some dogs.
- The most important and energy providing ingredient is chicken fat obtained by rending chicken.
- The last ingredient is tomato pomace which is rich in fiber and protein. It is also controversial as considered to be an inexpensive grain free dog food ingredient.
- Other ingredients worth noting are flaxseed, alfalfa meal and avocado oil.
- It controls weight
- Supports shiny and healthy coat
- It does not cause constipation
- Many dogs do not like the taste and smell
- It contains more grain than meat
- Difficult to find
A good tasting formula rich in proteins and low in carbohydrates to encourage a healthy weight. It is designed to be fed to obese dogs. It contains real chicken and salmon meal. It supports the growth of a healthy immune system. This formula is helpful in maintain a shiny and smooth coat. It also contains Chondroitin and Glucosamine. This crunchy kibble will help your dog prevent and reduce traces of plaque.
Ingredients it include:
- The first important ingredient it contains is chicken. And the second one is chicken meal which is a more concentrated form of protein.
- The next important ingredient it comes with is peas. Peas have a good source of carbohydrates and are rich in fiber
- Pea protein is another is important ingredient found in this dog food. Pea protein is obtained by removing starch from the vegetable
- Regardless of its protein value, it has a lower biological value compared to meat
- It also contains dried egg product which is dehydrated form of eggs. Eggs are good for French bulldogs and easy to digest.
- It contains potato protein which is a gluten free source of carbohydrates.
- The eight essential ingredient it contains is fish meal which is concentrated protein source
- The ninth important ingredient is salmon which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Salmon is basically 80% water
- Chicken fat is another essential ingredient which is obtained from rendering chicken.
- Check fat contains high quantity of linoleic acid, omega fatty acid which is absolutely necessary for the optimum growth of dogs.
- Other ingredients worth noting are flaxseeds, chicory root, prebiotic, inulin, and dried fermentation products.
- It contains only 10% of total fat which promotes in reduction of weight
- It is effective and nutrient dense
- Contains a good balance of carbohydrates and protein
- Good in taste
- Encourages compact stool
- It causes gas
- Can cause stomach irritation
Press Presently To See The Premium Edge Dog Food Healthy Weight
Royal Canin Bulldog Food for Adult Dog is an exclusive French bulldog diet formulated to make it easy for your dog to start chewing. This breed needs training with chewing else it develops multiple jaw problems. The ingredients of this formula helps in reducing intestinal fermentation that causes various digestive disorder, stool odor and flatulence.
It contains the recommended amount of fiber, proteins, and high quality carbohydrate. The coat and skin of the dog is a reflection of its health. A good diet plays a significant role in maintaining the skin quality. The Bulldog Adult formula is an ideal formula for joints and bones, that’s supports the maintenance of a recommended weight.
Ingredients it includes:
- It comes with brewers rice. It is a formula developed by collecting fragments of whole rice. Other than the caloric energy it comes with, this item contains only a small amount of nutrition.
- The other important ingredient it contains is brown rice which is a carbohydrate that is easy to digest.
- It also contains chicken meal which is a rendered product of slaughterhouse waste.
- It contains 300% higher protein value than chicken
- It contains amino acids which in a low quality ingredient
- Another essential ingredient it contains is chicken fat which comes from rendered chicken
- It also comes with wheat gluten that is a rubbery residue
- Other essential ingredients it includes is corn gluten meal.
- Dogs like the taste of this product
- Dogs can easily digest it
- It has a good value
- It improves the health and touch of the coat
- High nutritional value
- It is an expensive product
Press Here To View The Royal Canin Bulldog Food for Adult Dog Health Nutrition
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food, Healthy Weight Recipe is a combination of natural and healthy ingredients carefully collected for your overweight and less active dog. It is nutrient dense optimum for weight maintenance and a healthy weight. The wellness complete health dry dog supports absorption of nutrients for joint and hip health. On top of that- it tastes good.
It is a balanced and complete nutrition which supports that health and weight of your dog .A healthy formula with a low calorie diet made with peas and chicken to manage hunger as well as maintain a healthy weight. It contains no wheat, soy, corn, artificial flavors, preservatives or colors. It is completely natural.
Ingredients it includes:
- The first ingredient it comes with is whitefish that is a freshwater and marine specie native to California coats. It contains a rich amount of omega-3 fatty acids. The cooked form of white fish reduces the total weight by leaving only the essence
- The second important ingredient it contains is potato. It is considered to be a digestible source of carbohydrates.
- The other important ingredient it comes with is peas. Peas provide carbohydrates and natural fiber.
- Another essential ingredient it contains is menhaden fish meal. It comes with more protein than chicken and fish.
- An essential ingredient it comes with is chickpeas. It is a nutritious family of the fiber-rich legume
- The other ingredient it comes with is ground potatoes. It is a dehydrated form of plant based protein.
- It also contains canola oil, which is so far a controversial ingredient which can be genetically modified.
- A commonly found ingredient in the best dog food for French bull dogs, tomato pomace is another essential ingredient which promotes healthy growth of hair.
- The other important ingredient it comes with is flaxseed which is an essential source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- It is all natural
- Grain free
- Rich in nutrient
- Not recommended for puppies
- Can contain ingredients which may cause allergies
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Reduced Fat Weight Management Turkey & Chicken Recipe comes with 100% natural ingredients designed for the best health of your dog. It comes with a combination of fruits, turkey, vegetables, salmon oil, and flaxseeds.
It encourages the healthy growth of bones and contains 25% less fat. This grain free formula is a combination of meat and essential oils that help develop a nutrient dense food which comes with no grains, corn, artificial flavor, colors or preservatives.
Ingredients it includes:
- The first and most expected ingredient it comes with is chicken. It is a high quality item which has more than 80% of water. Once cooked, it reduces to a fraction of the total weight.
- Once processed, this item accounts for a smaller portion of the total product
- Another ingredient it comes with is chicken meal which is a concentrated form of meat which has more protein value than raw chicken.
- The third essential ingredient is turkey meal which is another concentrated form of meat.
- Another essential ingredient it comes with is potato that is considered to be a gluten free source of carbohydrates
- It includes peas that is a brilliant source of carbohydrates
- Tomato pomace is another controversial ingredient which is thought to be a high source of fiber.
- It also has traces of ground dried potatoes.
- Another important ingredient that promotes healthy digestion is flaxseed. It has high value of omega 3 acids and soluble fiber.
- Flaxseed has a total 19% protein.
- The chicken fat it contains comes from rendered chicken. It is same as making chicken broth.
- The pea fiber it comes it’s a combination of dietary insoluble and soluble fiber obtained from pea hulls.
- Inulin and chicory root is another starch like ingredient found in this dog food.
- High quality ingredients that combine to provide best health benefits
- Leaves a positive impact on the coat of the dog
- Perfect for dogs that are sensitive to allergy
- It is cheap and not so fattening in the long run
- It is expensive
- It is not poultry free which may not be recommended for some bulldogs
A nutrient dense kibble designed for small breed- easy to chew and high in energy. It contains a perfect balance of carbohydrates, fat, protein and essential antioxidants that support small dogs for their healthy growth. It comes with DHA that is essential for eye and brain development.
Ingredients it includes:
- The first important ingredient it comes with is concentrated chicken meal which has a higher protein value than raw chicken
- The other important ingredient it comes with is white fish which is another concentrated protein form of meat.
- Then it also contains oatmeal which is obtained from coarsely ground oats. It is a natural source of Vitamin B.
- The fourth ingredient it comes with is barley, that is a fiber rich nutrient that gives your dog the fuel he needs to stay active
- It also has ground brown rice which is a digestive substitute for wheat flour
- The other important ingredient it has is chicken fat that is obtained from rendered chicken.
- Another interesting ingredient it contains is rye flour which is obtained by processing rye. It is a grain like barley.
- Potatoes are also used in this formula for a digestive source of carbohydrates.
- Sweet potato is a source of complex carbohydrates found in a dog food.
- Other ingredients it includes is canola oil that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, tomato pomace which is used in ketchup and soap and flaxseeds which is a soluble fiber that aids in healthy digestion.
- It is high in quality
- Comes with no cheap filters
- It is not grain free
- Comes with crushed and powdery morsels
For a stubborn pet who makes it difficult for you to manage their health and diet, Nulo Adult grain free food is the best choice. Your pet will immediately recognize the taste and it will keep your pet full for the entire day. It comes with no carrageenan, grains, corn, wheat, artificial preservatives, flavorings, colors or soy. It is 100% natural and contains the best quality ingredients. It promotes a healthy lifestyle for your pet.
Ingredients it includes:
- It is a different combination of nutrient pack for dogs. When talking about the best dog food for French bulldogs, one definitely thinks of salmon as an important ingredient. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids. It prevents weight gain and maintains a healthy built.
- The next important ingredient it has is turkey meal which contains more than 300% of fresh turkey.
- Other important ingredient it has is fish meal. Menhaden is an ocean fish which is not exposed to sites that may contain mercury.
- The other essential ingredient it comes with is peas. Peas are a brilliant source of carbohydrates.
- It also contains sweet potato. It is a gluten free source of carbohydrates found in dog food.
- The other ingredient it comes with is chicken fat that comes from rendered chicken. Chicken fat is rich in linoleic acid which is essential for the healthy brain growth of dogs. For French bulldog puppy diet, consider this ingredient a must.
- The next essential ingredient it contains is chickpeas that promotes healthy appetite. It is a high quality ingredient that is also regarded as garbanzo beans.
- The other ingredient is turkey. Turkey is always thought to be an essential ingredient of puppy diet to ensure a shiny coat and healthy brain development.
- Another interesting ingredient it contains is lentils that have a rich source of carbohydrates and are also rich in fiber.
- Other important ingredients worth noting are pea fiber, inulin, chicory root and prebiotics.
- Rich in digestive enzymes and prebiotics
- Dogs love the taste of this food
- Great quality
- Good value for money
- Contains no gas causing ingredient
- Good for dogs who have diarrhea
- Older dogs do not like to switch to its taste
- May be a hassle to ship
Castor and Pollux Organix Grain Free Dog Food
Castor & Pollux Natural PetWorks is a dog diet that aims at countering health with innovation and taste. This food is basically a treat for the dogs. It comes with the high quality ingredients that have been tested for safety. It is a combination of organic and natural ingredients. Organix is a company which counters the production of high quality line of pet food. This food contains no corn, no antibiotics, fertilizers, pesticides or growth hormones.
Ingredients it includes:
- Because it is grain free, the first important ingredient it contains is organic chicken. This chicken is a processed form which is processed to diminish the water content of the chicken
- Chicken meal is another important ingredient which comes with more than 300% protein compared to raw chicken
- Organic peas is another essential ingredient which is a great source of carbohydrates that are easy to digest.
- Organic tapioca is another starchy carbohydrate extract which comes from cassava plant. This is a great source of digestive carbohydrates.
- Organic pea protein is another important ingredient found in this food product
- It also contains organic sunflower meal which is considered to be a plant booster. It is a by-product of the extraction process of sunflower. It is a commonly found livestock item.
- Organic potatoes is another ingredient found in this food product which is rich in digestible carbohydrates.
- It also contains chicken fat which comes from rendered chicken.
- Other notable ingredients it includes is coconut oil, alfalfa meal and chelated minerals
- Grain free and high quality ingredients
- Is a certified brand recommended by vets
- Contains no wheat, soy or corn
- Is made in USA
- It is a rich nutritional value which keeps the dog satisfied throughout the day
- Causes no gas or flatulence
- The only problem with this product is the cost.
Check Price & Availability The Castor and Pollux Organix Grain Free Dog Food
From Four-Star Grain free dry dog food is a unique grain free formula which comes with a combination of quail, turkey, duck and pheasant combined with handpicked fruits and vegetables and Wisconsin cheese.
It is designed to provide dogs an outclass dining experience which targets at maintaining their optimum health. Its superior taste would keep your dog happy with a healthy body. It comes with a balanced and complete nutrition for French bulldogs of all sizes and age.
Ingredients it includes:
- Being a unique combination designed for dogs, it features duck as its main ingredient. Raw duck processed to minimize water content to ensure less weight.
- Duck meal that is just like duck broth is also found in this food product. It is a more concentrated form of protein than the raw duck.
- Another essential ingredient it comes with is peas. Peas are a great source of carbohydrates and natural fiber.
- The other important ingredient it contains is turkey, which is another raw product
- Potato is another important ingredient considered to be a gluten free source of carbohydrates.
- Pea protein is also found in this food product after removing starch from vegetables
- Tomato pomace is another controversial yet a significant combination of this formula.
- Pea flour traces are also found in this formula which is rich in protein and helps fulfil the meat requirement of a growing dog.
- Other important ingredients you can find in this dog food includes whole dried egg, quail and chicory root.
- It is great for dogs who have digestive disorders
- The quality of the product is the best
- Significantly improves the health of your dog
- Tastes good
- The smell can get unbearable for human beings
- It leaves sticky residue on the hand
- Is an expensive product
Grandma Lucy is a popular brand that has a reputation of manufacturing high quality pet treats and food that is nutrient dense and aids in the optimum growth of dogs. It innovates with different ingredients to ensure that every product targets the best health of your dog. This grain free formula is easy to prepare. Add warm water and just serve to your dog.
It best ingredients, it is free of hormones, it contains amazing ingredients like flaxseed, apples, potato, blueberries and cranberries. It is best for dogs that have digestive disorders and are overall sensitive to a variety of foods. It contains only the natural ingredients and is free of preservatives. It provides complete nutrition for all ages of dog.
Ingredients it includes:
- The first main ingredient it comes with is venison. It is a high quality item which aids in healthy digestion.
- The next ingredient that is important is potato. Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrate and aid in healthy digestion of food.
- Flaxseed are an important source of omega 3- fatty acids found in this product. It contains soluble fiber.
- It also contains sweet potato which is rich in beta carotene and dietary fiber.
- Other important ingredient it comes with is carrots that are rich in mineral and fibers
- It also contains celery which is rich in healthy vitamins and minerals.
- The other ingredient is apple which is a great source of fiber
- Garlic is another controversial item which some favor and some really dislike.
- It also contain chelated minerals.
- I have been using it from the last 4 years and believe it to be the perfect food for my dog
- It is all natural and causes no digestive troubles
- It tastes good which keeps your dog in a good mood
- You can slightly overfeed your dog as it contains all the natural ingredients that prevent unhealthy weight gain
- Flakes of food like potatoes.
- Some dogs would not like the texture of the food
- The amount of garlic it contains can cause mouth odor
Buying a commercial best dog food for French bulldogs can be daunting. French bulldogs are expensive and hard to find healthy breed. If you have been lucky enough to find a breed as amazing, it is essential to maintain their health and ensure that every possible nutrient essential for their growth is provided to them.
Food that is rich in protein is so far the best ingredient required by your dog. Royal Canin bulldog food for example gives you the best form of protein and carbohydrates that are easy to digest. This food product is recommended by majority of the dog owners for it is light and nutrient dense. But if you are looking for something unique and healthier in terms of taste and digestion, then Fromm Four Star Grain free dry dog food is another good consideration.
The majority of the food products for dogs mentioned above contain a high nutrition value and are so far the best products for French dull dogs recommended. I personally believe that taste is an essential part of the dog’s nature. Anything that makes them feel pleased would naturally enhance their mood and so there activity and performance.
Keeping that in mind, Grandma Lucy’s Artisan also seems an interesting option for it innovates with taste and fruits. Fruits are as essential source of minerals and vitamins as vegetables and meat. If you are prefer grain free food, that is fine, but fruits can always be an essential part of your dog’s diet.
Video: What’s the Best Food to Feed My French Bulldog
Always remember that the dog food you select for your adult French bulldog should be different than the small breed food. Avoid giving corn, fillers, wheat and artificial flavors to your adult French bulldog. Prefer going with natural and organic ingredients. Always keep into consideration that not all dogs need a high combination of protein. The weight of your adult dog should tell you the most about what they would need in their diet.
The small breed dog food mostly contains kibble pieces easier and smaller for the bulldogs to chew and bite. But remember that they also have a higher nutritional value which means overeating would cause gaining weight. The Food products mentioned above are all recommendations by experienced breeders who suggest a combination of everything from protein to minerals and water.
And while you focus so much on solid diet, another essential aspect of their diet is hydration and stool color. Give them good amount of water, but never immediately after the meal.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.
- Best Dog Food for Chihuahua
- Best Dog Food for Pitbulls
- Food for Boxers
- Food for Labs
- Food for Huskies
- Food for Maltese
- Food for American Bulldog
- Food for Yorkies
- Food for Pugs
- Food for Boston Terrier
- English Bulldog
- Food for Beagles