When it comes to the cute little fluffy Pomeranians, special stress on diet becomes critical. Not only because they demand extra care and attention but because a bad diet can ruin their fur and make them look ugly.
You, obviously do not want that to happen to your lovely dog and therefore, you should never settle for anything less than the best dog food for Pomeranian dog of yours. BUT, how do you know what is good for your dog? This review of the top brands of dog food will help you find out the best dog food for Pomeranian puppy.
Pomeranians have nice silky here, generally white which need a lot of care. They are lovely, but if not fed properly, they can get aggressive and suffer many diseases. Pomeranian diet ‘must’ contain small chunks of food so that they can chew and swallow easily. Also, the diet should be rich in nutrients because they tend to lose weight quite quickly.
1. Blue Buffalo Freedom Dog Food
2. Orijen Dry Dog Food
2. Solid Gold Holistic Dry Dog Food
3. Royal Canine Small Dog Food
4. Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Dry Dog Food
5. Artemis Fresh Mix – Small Breed Adult
6. Wellness TruFood Baked Blends Natural Grain Free Dry Raw Dog Food
7. Wysong Epigen Venison Canine/Feline Diet – Dog/Cat Food
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Selecting a brand of food for your Pomeranian can be a tough decision. Not only you have to take care of the nutrients in the food, but you also need to take care of a few things that are peculiar to this particular breed. Below are a few characteristics of the best dog food for Pomeranian.
- If you are going to feed dry food to a Pomeranian, always ensure that the food item is broken down into small chunks. This is to ensure that the dog is able to chew and swallow the food properly without any problem. A bigger piece can actually choke the dog, especially the smaller ones who have a habit of gulping their bites.
- Pomeranian diets must be highly nutritious as these dogs require a lot of energy to maintain themselves. The best food for Pomeranians has high protein content which helps them in maintaining their weight. If this breed is not given good food, it may face digestive and gastric problems.
- You can also mix canned food with the regular dog food to ensure that your dog gets all the calories it needs. Choose a brand that has less volume of filler and a maximum number of nutrients. The ratio of the mixture of the canned food and the dry food for Pomeranian puppy depends directly on size, age and activity level of the dog.
- You can also feed your dog some high protein items like boiled liver or chicken every once in a while, to make up for the loss if any during the last few days.
- These dogs have small stomachs and therefore are unable to keep food in their stomach for long. As a result, they tend to eat every now and then. The best dog takes this fact into consideration and prepares the product in a way that can always keep the high on energy.
- Pomeranians should never be fed any spicy or salty food as these can cause digestive problems. Also, they should never be given empty calories as there already small stomach will then not be able to consume the required nutrition. Eventually, all this will lead to lethargy and malnutrition in your dog.
- Finally, choose a product that does not contain anything sweet. Chocolates, candies, grapes, raisins – all these sweet little things can be poisonous for your little dog. Even a small amount of these can prove deadly for a Pomeranian.
Being an owner of a Pomeranian, I have been trying out various dog foods to find the best one that works best for my dog. Some of them have produced excellent results, and my dog has loved them while a few were a complete disaster.
The dog foods that were rejected by my dog were thrown out of the house immediately, and that is why my cute little one has a majestic dense fur which everyone adores. Coming to the products, here are the few products that have proven to be beneficial and I would recommend a friend.
Blue Buffalo is one of the few companies that make excellent dog food for Pomeranians. They take into consideration every little thing while formulating the recipes for dogs. As a result of this careful considerations, Blue Buffalo has created a range of dog foods which are free from grain and hence free from gluten.
However, it is still an all-natural product and contains no artificial supplements. The products by the company have a specially formulated dog food for every breed and size which are aimed at fulfilling their diet. The primary ingredients of this dog food include deboned chicken, tapioca starch, peas, tomatoes, chicken fat, flax seeds, potato starch and canola oil.
- Contains minerals and vitamins to strengthen bones and joints.
- It is gluten free which means no digestive problems.
- 100% natural dog food with no artificial flavouring or supplements.
- Filled with flavours. Your dog will love it.
- Available for all breeds and sizes.
- If your dog has never eaten grain-free, it might resist it.
- It is broken down into tiny chunks which your dog might not like/eat.
Things to remember:
- Gluten induces allergies in dogs, and since this product is gluten free, it can help your dog to recover from existing skin discomforts and digestive problems.
- The price is a little on the higher side, but considering the benefits, it is totally justified.
If you can afford to spend a little bit extra and if your dog likes it, this is best dog food for Pomeranian available in the market. I would definitely recommend buying it.
When it comes to dog food, Orijen is a name that every pet owner knows. This company excels at making affordable dog food which is capable of keeping both the owner as well as the pet happy. Dog owners have never reported a problem with Orijen and every dog that I have seen consuming it eats with a lot of excitement and happiness.
The products by this company including this one is an all-natural total diet for your dog which has zero side effects on your pet. It fulfils all the requirements of being an excellent Pomeranian food, and this is why I have been feeding it to my dog for years.
- It has exactly what your dog needs – nutrients and energy.
- It is gluten and grain free, hence no allergies.
- Rich in flavours and thus loved by dogs.
- Small chunks to suit your Pomeranian’s intake.
- You might have to buy a bigger packet because your dog will keep on asking for more.
- It might require mixing human food to it.
- This dog food has as high as 85% of poultry, fish and egg. Therefore, make sure that your dog is not allergic to any of these before feeding him this dog food.
If you have a dog who tends to overeat and then faces digestive problems, you should probably invest in this product. It is easy on the digestive system even if consumed in high quantity.
Formulated especially for small dogs like Pomeranians, Solid Gold Holistic Dry Dog Food is nothing short of solid gold. It has 20 vital nutrients that are derived from superfoods including carrots, blueberries, broccoli, pumpkin, cranberries, kelp and lentils. It has small kibbles which idolize it as the best dog food for Pomeranian. It is also rich in fibre which improves the overall digestion power of the dog making it active and sharp.
- Small chunks of food which is of utmost importance for small dogs
- High amount of egg protein help in building muscle and growth.
- It also contains fish which can complete all the nutrition your dog might lack.
- The product does not include soy or corn which are the primary reasons for allergies in dogs.
- It cannot be given to big dogs as it might not be able to complete their nutrient requirement.
- Dogs usually do not like to consume it until you mix it with wet food.
- Although the product says it has no grain, it does have traces of it which suggests that it might have gluten. If your dog is allergic to gluten, do not make him consume this.
- Also, not many dogs appreciate the bison because of its taste.
I would recommend this product only and only if you have a small dog like Pomeranian who is not picky with his food habits.
Royal Canine knows that depending on the weight and size of the dog, the required nutrition varies and therefore to meet the nutritional and dietary requirements of the small toy dogs like Pomeranians, it has come up with the X-Small dog food.
It is designed to keep your dog beautiful and healthy, and as per my experience, it does the job pretty well. It has a high volume of EPA and DHA which maintain the coat and skin of the dog and its extremely high palatable formula cater to the extensive eating patterns of small dogs.
- It has readily digestible proteins and fibre which elevate the digestion in dogs.
- It has very small chunks of food which are perfect for small dogs.
- It promotes healthy skin and fur.
- It has gluten which can be bad for your dog.
- It does not have whole chicken in it which means you might need to add it separately every once in a while.
- This product has corn and wheat gluten which can cause allergic reactions in your dog. Although it promotes healthy skin but that is through artificial means.
- This product might have dye in it as when my dog was on it; it developed a path near the eye.
- The product performs pretty well. Dogs love to eat it and it has high nutritional value too.
If you are looking for a quick fix to the missing nutrients, go for it. Otherwise, look at the options listed above. Those are a little expensive but better performers.
This is one of the best dog food for Pomeranian. It has organic chicken as the primary ingredient and also contains organic vegetables to provide natural fibre and increase bowel movement. All this packed with a seal of trust is definitely something to watch out for. Castor & Pollux Organix have been leading the organic pet food scene for years now, and the quality they have been maintaining is nothing but excellent.
- Chicken forms the primary source of protein which is the best kind of protein that a pet can get.
- It does not have any gluten.
- The vegetable component of the dog food is again organic.
- It is rich in fibre which means better digestion.
- Being organic, it is a little expensive.
- A few people have reported ear infection in the dog after using this product.
- Ensure that your dog is not allergic to anything contained in the dog food.
- It has high volume of soy meal which is supposed to be helpful but can cause trouble to some dogs.
I would totally recommend this to anyone who is willing to go all organic with the dog. It has superior quality of chicken and vegetables, but, if your dog cannot consume soy, avoid it all costs.
This one is a lesser known brand but if you ask me, a so much better one than many popular ones. It is designed keeping the strength and nutrition requirements of a small dog in mind. In fact, it can be called as the best dog food for Pomeranian puppy. As per one of my friends, this dog food helped his dog gain weight and transformed from lazy little one into an excited young one in a few weeks.
- It has small kibble size which is loved by small dogs.
- It has been specially designed for small dogs.
- It is an all-natural product and does not contain any artificial supplements.
- It is not an adequate diet for big dogs.
- This dog food is somewhat dryer than the other dog foods. So, you might want to add either some curry or wet food to it before feeding it to your dog.
If your dog is facing an underweight situation, go for it.
Another grain free dog food that is a complete and balanced diet for any dog. Its small breed edition formula has as much protein as required by the small dogs to have a healthy metabolic rate. All the ingredients of the food are natural with chicken being the primary ingredient.
- Along with the high protein value of chicken, it has decent dietary fibre in the form of vegetables.
- It contains premium ingredients and does not have any potato or wheat-based element which makes it totally gluten free and healthy for a dog.
- It is also rich in superfoods like beets and blueberries which add to the nutrition value of the food.
- The price of this product is a little on the higher side considering that there are many other dog foods, even better available at a lower price.
- It cannot be fed to a bigger dog because it is specifically designed for toy dogs.
- This dog food has raw and dried vegetables which are not so much liked by the dogs. Many pet owners have told me that their dog eats the ‘good’ part and leave the veggies, especially kale.
The only reason I would buy this dog food is the fact that it is gluten-free and makes the fur of my dog shinier. It has everything my dog needs and most of all, I can afford it.
Build on the lines of another popular dog food; this one is designed to feed the dogs the way they should be. This means that the food has been developed to be the most genetic friendly food. It is starch free, has small kibble and rich in omega 3.
- It is available for dogs of all age and sizes.
- It is highly palatable.
- It has a high volume of proteins and carries the goodness of prebiotics, probiotics, enzymes and minerals as well.
- It has small kibble which is perfect for small dogs.
- Some dog owners mentioned that their pets suffered from diarrhoea when they started giving it this particular product.
- Although it can make the fur shinier and help with allergies, it is not a miraculous product.
- The pets that faced problems with it had allergy from one or more ingredients included in the mix.
If your dog is having itchy skin or any other skin problem and is open to eat starch-less food, this dog food can help it to get rid of skin infections.
What can Pomeranians eat that is human food?
Every once in a while, you can give them boiled chicken or liver. You can also feed them vegetables. However, make sure that you do not feed them anything too salty or sweet. These can be dangerous for its health.
What is your favourite dog food?
I have fed my dog Orijen and Blue Buffalo products listed above the most. Initially, he also loved Royal Canin dog food, but after a few days of consumption, he got bored of it and never ate it again. When my dog developed an itch, I tried feeding him Wysong Epigen, and luckily it worked for him. However, on a regular basis, I prefer Orijen.
Should I mix dry and wet dog food?
It depends on the taste and will of your dog. Many dogs love to eat the mixture while some like it dry. Observation is the key here.
How can I find the best Pomeranian food?
I would suggest you to go through the reviews above and based on the habits and allergies of your dog, go for any of them. They have been tried and reviewed and therefore, they are your best bet!
Video: Review: Natural Vegetarian Dog Treats & Chews & Pomeranian Adventure
When it comes to choosing the best dog food for Pomeranian, always make sure that you are investing in a small kibble, tasty and gluten free food. Also, do not forget to read the ingredients and nutrition value. Based on these few things, take a decision and change the food if your dog rejects it.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.