Top 5 Best Food for Poodles
Latest Update: June 5, 2017
- Age Range Description
- Item Dimensions
- Item Weight
- Special Ingredients
- Our editors rating
- Price range
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Poodle Adult Dry Dog Food
- 23 x 13 x 3 in
- 10 lbs
- Increased protein digestibility
- Supplemental DHA supports early cerebral development
- Kibble size encourages the dog to chew
- 9.0 of 10
- Orijen Original Dry Dog Food
- 13 lbs
- Grain free dog food
- Limited ingredient and single-source protein
- Kkeep your dog healthy, happy and strong
- 8.4 of 10
- Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Venison Meal & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 22.5 x 3.2 x 15.5 in
- 15 lbs
- Natural dog food with added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- Omega fatty acids
- No corn, wheat, artificial colors or flavors
- Contains 1 - 30 pound bag of dry dog food
- Soybean meal
- 8.2 of 10
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Dry Dog Food
- 18.5 x 13.5 x 4 in
- 12.3 lbs
- gluten-free, protein-rich
- High-protein, grain-free kibble plus freeze dried
- Natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals
- Grain-free and gluten-free nutrition
- Healthy Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
- Complete and balanced for all life stages
- 8.6 of 10
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Active Longevity Chicken Meal, Rice & Barley Dry Dog Food
- 24 x 16 x 4 in
- 17.5 lbs
- natural ingredients plus vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- Provides precisely balanced nutrition
- Contains a antioxidant blend with vitamins C + T
- Made with natural ingredients plus vitamins, minerals
- Made in the USA
- 9.4 of 10
Think of a dog breed that is smart, cute and is friendly, you will surely come with the name of Poodle. They are medium size breed who makes a wonderful pet dog and a great for obedience training. They are available in three different sizes that are toy, miniature and standard.
Poodles are very active and for this they need to do a lot of exercises. Apart from that it is necessary to give them healthy diet. As they are of different sizes sometimes it may be difficult to find the best dog food for Poodles that is right for the size of poodle you own.
Thus, it is utmost important that you understand the dietary need of your poodle that will help in keeping them fit and active. They need balanced nutrition that includes high protein, Carbohydrates and fats. So, when you choose food for your poodle, be it toy, miniature or standard make sure that you have considered their nutritional requirement.
1. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Poodle Adult Dry Dog Food
2. Orijen Original Dry Dog Food
3. California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo & Red Lentils Formula Adult Dog Food
4. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Poodle Puppy Dry Fog Food
5. Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food
6. Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Venison Meal & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
7. Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Chicken Meal Formula Dry Dog Food
8. Hill’s Science Diet Adult 7+ Active Longevity Chicken Meal, Rice & Barley Dry Dog Food
9. Farmina Natural and Delicious Low-Grain Formula Dry Dog Food
10. Wild Calling Rocky Mountain Medley
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
When you decide on buying the best dog food for poodles you have to keep in mind that they are of three different sizes and you need to choose the dog food based on their size. The Toy and miniature poodle are smaller in size compared to standard poodle, hence they have high metabolism.
Thus, their diet should contain enough fat so that they get the energy. So, while you look for best dog food for toy poodles or miniature poodle you must ensure that they get this food till they are grown.
On the other hand a standard poodle is like a medium to large size dog and hence they require more protein. They do not need many calories per pound as their metabolism is slow. So, when you buy poodle dog food ensure that
- Caloric content is high for toy and miniature poodle
- Dog food for standard poodles has high protein content
- Does not contain food that is allergens as poodles are prone to allergy.
- Protein must be mainly from animal based sources like turkey, chicken, and fish.
As mentioned poodles are of three different sizes and depending upon their size and weight you need to choose the right food for your poodle. Thus, among the various foods available for poodles I have made a list of ten such ready foods that are best for your poodles. Poodles need fat and protein along with vitamins and minerals in their diet and keeping that in mind I recommend you to choose among the below mentioned food products for your poodle.
When it comes to dry food for poodles the first name that I suggest is Royal Canin Breed health Nutrition. It is enriched with Omega 3 fatty acids that help in maintaining the wooly coat of the poodle. The protein content is also good for hair growth and their vitality. It gives 100% balanced nutrition for the growth of poodle’s muscle tone. It is good for toy and miniature poodles that are over age of 10 months.
- Helps in maintaining the coat health
- The kibble shape is exclusive that helps the poodle to grasp and chew easily
- Its protein content is useful in maintaining muscle tone
- Supports healthy aging.
- It is good for toy and miniature poodles who are over 10 months of age.
This is a perfect breed formula that is designed for the poodles. I suggest using this for keeping your poodle healthy and active.
Although meant for poodle dog food yet it contains all nutrients that is as good as human food too! Although that a different story but Orijen Dry food is the best way to reach your dog’s heart through the bowl that you serve them. It has grain free formula and thus is free of allergens.
It is prepared with deboned turkey, deboned chicken, whole eggs, yellow tail flounder, fruits and vegetables. All this makes it the healthiest and the tastiest food for your poodle.
- It is good for very sensitive digestive system.
- It contains diet products that a dog will love to eat in the wilds
- Does not contain grains and hence free of allergens.
- Full of protein to give energy
- The cost of the product is a bit high
Although it is a bit costly but once you start feeding your dog with it you will find the change in its coats and overall health. So, start feeding them now.
The ingredients used in California Natural Grain free Kangaroo and Red Lentils Formula adult dog food are tasty and easy to digest. Being grain free they do not have allergens and is single animal protein source.
It contains Kangaroo, Red Lentils, Peas, Green Lentils, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Di calcium Phosphate, Pea Fiber, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Minerals, DL-Methionine, and Vitamins. The ingredients are minimally processed making the food best for your canine.
- Its ingredient is best for grown up dog that are not so active.
- No grains in the food and hence is allergen free
- Good for dogs that have skin problems.
- Kangaroo meat is ideal for grown up dogs.
- As it has low protein content it is not ideal for dogs that are young as they need more protein.
I recommend this food product for your dog if they have grown up. Too much protein is not good for their liver and hence feeding them this product will be beneficial.
When looking for a perfect food for your poodle puppy this product is ideal choice. It is enriched with Omega 3 fatty acids that help in the growth of the fur of your poodle puppy. Its ingredients are also useful for maintaining the balanced intestinal flora of your puppy. It is the best food for toy poodle and miniature poodle whose age is between 8 weeks to 10 months.
- Contains Omega 3 acids that are ideal for hair growth.
- Best for puppy poodle as it helps in the growth of healthy digestive system.
- The taste of it is loved by even the picky eaters too.
- The price of the product is also affordable.
- Mainly meant for toy poodle and miniature poodle.
Although it is mainly for toy and miniature poodle puppies it can also be sued for a standard poodle puppy. Users have found changes on the coat of their dog after they started feeding this product and hence I recommend it for your puppies too.
The nutro wholesome essential wholesome adult dry food contains pasture fed lamb as its first ingredient that makes it perfect for your poodle. It also contains high quality nutrients like chondroitin and glucosamine.
It is best dog food for standard poodles as it supports the joints and helps your dog to be fit and trim. It also promotes a healthy immune system thanks to essential anti-oxidants that si found in it.
- Pasture fed lamb, the first ingredient is best for supporting a dog in having strong muscles.
- There are no artificial flavors or colors and preservatives in this formula.
- Brown rice is used for deriving carbohydrates.
- There are few ingredients but all of them are of high quality
- The price of the product has increased recently.
- It is not an best dog food for toy poodle and miniature poodle.
When it comes to good dog food for your standard poodle I will always recommended this product as it has the best quality ingredients that will make your poodle stronger and healthier.
If you are looking for a vegetarian recipe for your poodle Nature’s recipe is the ideal solution. It contains protein rich soybean meal that is needed for maintaining a shiny coat and healthy skin. However, it does not contain food items like wheat and corn that are not good for sensitive stomach. Omega Fatty acid is helpful in maintaining shiny coat. Linoleic acid and zinc is also ideal for healthy skin.
- It is totally a vegetarian recipe for poodles
- It is available in two sizes.
- Soya bean meal supports the protein requirement
- Does not have wheat or corn that are sensitive for stomach
- Not ideal for dog owners who want their canine to be carnivorous.
This dog food is ideal for those poodle owners who want that their dog lives on vegetable energy. It has the required nutrients to keep the dog healthy.
This variety of dog food from Nature’s variety contains animal protein too. It has high protein grain free kibble that provides your pet with the required energy. The nutrition is gluten free that your dog can enjoy in the lap of nature naturally. It contains Healthy Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids that promote soft and healthy skin.
- Ideal food for wholesome nutrition
- Is gluten free
- Perfect for all life stages and different types of poodles is that toy, miniature or standard.
- Contains probiotics and anti-oxidants.
- No artificial color, flavors or ingredients
- No such issues found
Instinct raw boost is an ideal dog food for any age, size or type. Whether you own a toy poodle or a standard one you can feed your poodle with this natural ingredient based dog food.
When your poodle has grown up it needs a dog food that will be good with its organ and Hill’s Diet adult does that. It is gentle on the digestive system and nurtures the kidney, in all it promotes good health of your poodle when it starts to age.
- Nutrition that helps in restoring youthful energy.
- Antioxidants help in maintaining health.
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- The ingredients are easy to digest and contain amino acids, minerals and vitamins.
- It is available in canned, dry and treats variety.
- Not suitable for young dogs.
Farmina natural low grain formula is good dog food for those who love to feed their dogs with natural ingredients. It meets the nutritional level and keeps the dog healthy and fit. It is gluten free and gives ideal nutritional value. It can be fed to dog at all life stages.
- Is gluten free
- This dog food is ideal for all life stages of dog
- Comes in low fiber formula and contains fresh protein.
- There are no lentils, peas or peas protein.
- Contains grain in low quantity.
Although it contains low grain but that may cause allergy in many canines. Yet, it is ideal for those who want to feed their poodle a healthy diet.
It is easy digestible dog food that is free of any chicken by products. It is also gluten free and does not contain corn, wheat, soy or grain. The vegetables, fruits, and other nutrients ensure that your dog will be healthy. Probiotic and Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids help in developing the skin of the poodle.
- Is gluten free
- Contains no byproducts of chicken or grains
- Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids promote healthy skin.
- It must be fed according to the particular instructions.
This whitefish, elk and turkey meal is ideal for your poodle who wants to grow fast. Being gluten free it helps the dog to have better immunity.
What to feed a Poodle?
Poodles are of different sizes that include toy poodle that is of 10 inches, miniature poodle are from 11 to 15 inches and standard poodles are of 15 to 17 inches. What will you feed to your poodle will depend upon the size of the poodle. Toy and miniature poodles need food with high fats so that they get energy and Standard poodle need food that has high protein.
What is the right time to feed poodle dog food?
Again the right time to feed your poodle will depend upon the size of your poodle. A small poodle that is toy and miniature poodle must be fed is small bites size kibbles and must be fed in three to four smaller meals. Similarly, the standard poodle is like any other dog that must be fed twice, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Is there any requirement for different formulas for different types of poodles?
Yes, as poodles are of three different types their growth is also different along with their activities. The smaller poodles that are toy and miniature poodle are very active and have high metabolism rates. Hence, the formulas that are fed to them must be nutrient dense. It ensures that the dog do not have to eat a lot for getting the required amount of calories.
On the same hand, a standard poodle dog food must be rich is protein that will help your dog maintain its lean muscles and should have moderate amount of fat so that they have healthy and shiny coat.
What can Poodles eat?
It’s true that there are breed specific dog food formulas, yet you can feed your poodle with good dog food that is ideal for other breeds. However, remember that you must avoid those dog foods that are full of fillers like soy or corn.
Poodles have sensitive digestive system and they may be allergic to these foods. Apart from that formulas with animal by product should be avoided as it is the lowest grade food product derived from that particular animal and is not recommended. They must be fed with whole meat sources from chicken, eggs and fish.
Which foods are poodles allergic to?
Poodles are often found to have sensitive stomachs and hence they have allergies to many food products. There are certain foods like wheat, soy, corn, dairy products and even beef that are not good for the digestive system of your poodle.
Video: Dog Care & Breed Information: What Do Poodles Eat?
When it comes to finding the best dog food for poodles it is not an easy task, especially when you have to choose one according to the type of poodle you own. The products reviewed here are good in terms of their capacity to promote the health of the poodles as well as the nutrients available in them.
Sometimes the price of the products may be a concern for the owner but when it comes to health of your dear poodle you can try our costlier products too. These products are best for your poodles and its time that you act now so that you choose the perfect product for your poodle.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.