Owning a Shih Tzu is a great thing! These sweet little balls of fur are not only the most devoted companion of their owners but they are a full package of joy and cuddliness. The beauty of these small, playful dogs lies in the long, luxurious coat which is prone to a number of health issues, primarily because of the food habits of the Shih Tzu.
It is thus of paramount importance that you take care of what food you are feeding the toy dog with and always try to feed the little pooch with the best dog food for Shih Tzu. If it is homemade healthy food, you need to check the nutritional composition of the same, and if its packaged dog food, you got to check out the list of ingredients and the nutritional content of the same.
1. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Puppy Dry Dog Food
2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Small Breed Dog Food
3. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs
4. Canidae Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors
5. Purina Beneful Originals With Real Beef
6. Now Fresh Grain Free Small Breed Puppy Recipe
7. Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain Free Duck Meal Formula Dry Dog Food
8. Taste of the Wild, Appalachian Valley Small Breed Canine Formula with Venison & Garbanzo Beans
9. Halo Spot’s Stew Dry Recipe for Small Breed Dogs
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Being the active breed of dogs that they are, Shih Tzu dogs have a specific need of nutrition in their diet. While the puppies need more calories in their food, the adult dogs can manage with fewer calories as compared to the puppies. It is important to keep a check on the calorie content of the dog food as Shih Tzu dogs are prone to obesity. The things which should be available and avoided in dog food for a Shih Tzu include:
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids should be there
- Foods with fish content are preferred as they have high percentage of lean protein
- 22% protein content is ideal for Shih Tzu puppies and 18% protein content is good for an adult Shih Tzu
- Foods with too much carb content is not recommended
- Foods that contain grapes, raisins, table salt, onion in any form, or caffeine should be avoided
While Shih Tzu dogs may not need a lot of food to be fed with, it is important that the Shih Tzu diet contains Vitamin K, B6, B12 and minerals like Folic acid and Choline.
Along with these, the dog food should also contain Omega 3 fatty acids and at least 18%-22% of protein. Here is a list of best dog foods for Shih Tzu which I recommend for Shih Tzu puppies and adults as these are shortlisted basis the nutritional needs of Shih Tzu dogs.
When it comes to dry food for Shih Tzu puppy, I cannot think of anything else other than the Royal Canin Shih Tzu Dog Food Health Nutrition. The dog food is specially formulated for Shih Tzu puppies and contains a lot of EPA and DHA which are the essential Omega 3 fatty acids. The presence of the ‘good’ bacteria in the food also promoted a healthy digestive system which is essential during the growing years of Shih Tzu puppies.
- Highly nutritional for puppies
- Promotes healthy skin and fluffy coat
- Improves digestive health
- Boosts natural defenses
- Reduces volume and odor of stool
- Could not find any
This product is ideal to be used for dogs that are 8 weeks to 10 months old as the formulation is done keeping in mind the nutritional requirements of a growing Shih Tzu puppy. This one definitely deserves to be mentioned at the top of this list.
The Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry small breed dog food is formulated especially to maintain the ideal body weight of small breed dogs like Shih Tzu. With 10% less calories and 26% less fat the product supports healthy weight loss in small dogs.
Each of the ingredients is carefully added to make the product healthy and tasty at the same time. The major ingredients that makes this is sumptuous meal for small dogs include shredded Turkey, chicken meal, salmon meal, and ground brown rice, just to name a few.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Small sized kibbles appropriate for small mouths of Shih Tzu
- Added vitamins and minerals promotes healthy joints and hips
- Supports digestive health
- Does not contain meat by-products, wheat, soy or corn
- Available in 3 sizes – 4 lbs, 11 lbs and 12 lbs bag
- Made in USA
- Can cause diarrhea in some dogs
- Packets contains high quantity of food dust as times
I recommend this one strongly for those overweight Shih Tzu dogs which need to shed a pound or two urgently.
This is a plant-based dry dog food which has all the necessary ingredients to make a healthy meal for Shih Tzu dogs. The high protein content of the Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs makes me add this one to this list. With 27% protein and 16% fat, this dry dog food is a powerhouse of calories.
A cup full of the kibbles provide as much as 345kcal, which is ideal for Shih Tzu dogs. The presence of microorganisms or the ‘good’ bacteria promoted a healthy digestive system, which is another plus of the product.
- Formulation includes superfoods like Chia seeds, Quinoa, kale and blueberries
- Does not contain wheat, corn or soy
- Helps in reducing plaque
- Probiotics present in the food promotes healthy digestive system
- Small sized kibbles makes it comfortable for small mouthed dogs
- Made in the USA
- Contains dried beet pulp which can cause allergy at times
Available in two different flavors, Chicken & Rice and Lamb & rice, the taste of the Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs is sure to suit the taste buds of Shih Tzu dogs.
The nutrient and protein-packed formula of the Canidae Life Stages dry dog food is just fine for dogs of all ages. Sourced from four different animal sources, this product provides adequate protein to Shih Tzu dogs. The probiotics in the food drives a healthy digestive system as the antioxidants strengthen the immune system. The product also contains good portions of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that nourishes the skin and promotes healthy coat.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Formulated by vets
- Available in multiple flavors
- Promotes healthy digestive system, immune system and coat
- Does not contain any fillers like wheat, corn or soy or artificial flavors or steroids
- Available in 4 sizes – 5 lbs, 15 lbs, 30 lbs, and 44 lbs bags
- Made in the USA
- Can cause nausea and GI issues in some dogs
If you have many dogs of different age groups, this is the product I would recommend for you to have. With one of these in your house, feeding the dogs becomes a simple affair.
There are not many dry dog foods for Shih Tzu dogs which contain real beef and this is why this one finds a place in this list. However, real beef is not the only highlight of this product.
It also contains 23% protein, 23 essential vitamins and minerals, and accents of real vegetables like carrots, peas and spinach. All in all, this is one product which is best when it comes to providing a healthy, tasty and nutritious meal to Shih Tzu dogs.
- Available in two different flavors
- Farm-raised beef or chicken is the major ingredient
- Antioxidant rich formula strengthens immune system
- Contains DHA which helps in development of brain and vision
- Zippered packaging helps in keeping the product fresh
- Available in 4 sizes – 3.5 lbs, 4.6 lbs, 15.5 lbs and 31.1 lbs bags
- The grains in the product causes allergy in some dogs
- Contains certain amount of meat by-products
If the dog is not allergic to grains, the Purina Beneful Originals formula is possibly one of best dog foods that you will find in the market. The presence of many unique ingredients makes the recipe different and the product tasty and healthy.
This is one of the freshest and healthiest compositions of puppy foods that I could recommend. It contains salmon, duck, and turkey and is rich in Omega 3 oils derived from Canola and Coconut. The small kibble shaped bits are really easy for a small pup to chew. The pup likes it more and more with every feed.
The best part of the food is that it contains no gluten, grains, beef, wheat, soy or corn, and also does not contains artificial preservatives, rendered meats or their byproducts.
- Grain-free formula
- Contains Omega oils promotes great coat and skin
- Coconut oil makes digestion easy and promotes brain development
- Kibble shape makes eating and chewing easy
- Made from all fresh ingredients
- Not available in large bags
The ingredients are all selected for best health, skin and brain development of the pet, and ensure that the pet gets a nice taste, can digest it well, and stay in a sportive good mood after eating it.
The package contains small kibbles for the small mouthed dogs which cannot chew large sizes. Every piece contains high protein food with a coating of raw freeze dried and grain free layer. This is to make the food richer in taste, as well as making it appealing and natural.
Vitamins and minerals are all natural, and no artificial colors or preservatives are added. Soy, corn, gluten or wheat is not included in the formula. Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids makes it enriched with essentials to ensure that the pet has a healthy skin and coat.
- Grain and gluten free formula
- Contains no artificial ingredients or flavoring, coloring etc
- Contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for great skin
- Contains freeze dried raw coating of food for natural and great taste
- Contains no gluten, wheat, soy or corn etc.
- Small kibble size for easy chewing
- Available only in 4 lb bags
- Bit pricey as compared to other dog foods in its class
This product is a perfect blend of taste, protein, antioxidants, healthy omegas and probiotics which brings about overall improvement in the health of the pooch.
Dogs that are suffering from digestive issues and food allergies need to be fed with something that would be easy to digest. This is where this product comes handy. The venison protein of this amazing dog from Taste of the Wild being highly digestible, suits the troubled tummies of ailing dogs.
Not only that, the probiotics present in the food promotes an overall healthy digestive system and the protein rich formula provides extra energy to small dogs like Shih Tzu.
- Grain free formula
- Unique formula that contains venison, lamb, duck, egg and ocean fish
- Contains garbanzo beans (chick peas) which promote excellent digestive health
- Contains 32% crude protein and 18% crude fat
- Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids promote healthy skin and coat
- Available in 3 different sizes – 5 lbs, 14 lbs, 28 lbs bags
- Manufactured in USA facilities
Made with real meat and supplements from food and vegetables, this food is perfect for those pooches that are allergic to most dog foods that are available in the market. This one is definitely a good value for money.
If you are looking for a dog food for your Shih Tzu that will offer whole meat protein, the Halo Spot’s Stew Dry Recipe for small breed dogs has to be my recommendation. With farm raised fruit and vegetables, whole eggs, real turkey, duck and pheasant meat, this food is packed with protein, the most essential element for a healthy well-being of small Shih Tzu dogs.
- Made form real turkey, duck and pheasant
- Does not contain any artificial flavors, glutens, animal or plant meals
- Contains 28% crude protein and Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids
- Small kibbles make it easy to chew and digest for small dogs like Shih Tzu
- Competitively priced
- All ingredients are sourced in USA only
- Not available in large bags
The Halo Spot’s Stew Dry Recipe for small breed dogs is most suited when your dog wants a variation of taste in its food. I recommend this product for dogs as this provides a very balanced meal to small dogs like Shih Tzu.
What to feed a Shih Tzu puppy?
To grow into a healthy and active adult, Shih Tzu puppy diet need to include foods which are rich in protein, fatty acids, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
How much do you feed a Shih Tzu?
That would depend on the formulation of the dog food. You need to check out the label of the dog food and decide on the quantity that needs to be fed to the Shih Tzu. As a standard practice, puppies need to be fed with one ounce of food per pound of body weight and adult Shih Tzu need to be fed with half ounce of food per pound of body weight.
How many times a day should I feed my Shih Tzu?
Shih Tzu puppies need to be fed about 4 times a day until they have are six month old. Once the puppy has grown up, you can cut the meal count to two meals per day.
What food do Shih Tzu puppies love to eat?
Shih Tzu puppies love eating chicken, fish, and lamb and organ meat (like heart or liver). Among vegetables a Shih Tzu puppy loves to eat broccoli and carrots. Food for a Shih Tzu puppy can also include sweet potato, raspberry, blueberry and sweet peas.
What foods are dangerous for Shih Tzu dogs?
The list is quite long actually. While grapes are bad for the kidney, chocolate, coffee, tea or soda can cause seizures and even death. Macadamia nuts are also a strict no-no as it causes muscle tremors and paralysis. Apart from this, onions, salt, fruit pits and seeds are also known to cause health hazards in Shih Tzu dogs.
Video: Shih Tzu Eating Homemade Dog Food – Reciepe Link Below
Finding the best dog food for Shih Tzu is certainly not one of the easiest tasks as the Shih Tzu fussy eater reputation clings with the dog’s name. This review is intended to help dog owners find the best dog food for their little pooch so that they can lay their hands on the healthiest food that is available in the market. Do discuss with the vet on the feeding guide of Shih Tzu dogs and decide on the product that you will feed your dog with.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.