While it is common to associate fish with the diet of cats, fish oil is something which if added to the diet of dogs will give them many healthy benefits. There are different schools of thoughts on whether giving fish oil to dogs is safe or not.
Take it from me, when it comes to provide the dogs with the right food to keep it healthy and give it a longer life, there is nothing as good as adding fish oil to the dog’s diet.
You must have heard about the positive effects of fish oil on humans. Your canine companion also gets benefitted by fish oil just the way you do. The huge deposits of Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oils not only improves the health of the heart and skin, or improve the shine of the coat, it brings on several other benefits in favor of the pooch’s health.
1. Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs – Premium Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for Dogs and Cats
2. Fish Oil for Dogs – 100% Pure Omega 3, 6 & 9 Fish Oil for Dogs and Cats
3. Fish Oil Pills for Dogs – Kirkland Signature Fish Oil Concentrate with Omega-3 Fatty Acids
4. Best Fish Oil Tablets for Dogs – Amazing Omega-3 Rich Fish Oil
5. Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Pet – Nordic Naturals – Omega-3 Pet Soft Gels
6. Grizzly Salmon Oil all Natural Dog Food Supplement – Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement in Pump-Bottle Dispenser
7. Derma-3 Twist Caps – Derma-3 Twist Caps For Medium & Large Dogs
8. Premium Liquid Omega-3 Fish Oil for Dogs and Cats
9. Grizzly Pollock Oil – Grizzly Pollock Oil Supplement for Dogs
10. Vetoquinol AllerG 3 for Dogs – Vetoquinol 410496 AllerG-3 Capsules and Liquid
11. Best Salmon Oil for Dogs – Alaska Naturals Salmon Oil for Dogs
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Honestly, there are so many benefits of fish oil supplements for dogs, if all the benefits would have to be written, the list would become a never-ending one. The major ones are as mentioned below.
- Inflammation of heart, kidneys, liver, skin or joints (that causes arthritis) can be reduced with the help of the anti-inflammatory properties of EPA, one of the two Omega-3 fatty acids for dogs.
- Improves skin condition by adding moisture, thereby reducing shedding, dandruffs and itchy skin in the poor animal
- There are proven benefits of fish oil for dog shedding. It is known to reduce the shedding manifolds along with promoting a shiny and healthier coat.
- As like human babies, puppies also get hugely benefitted by DHA, the second of the two Omega-3 fatty acids. It is known to develop the eyes and brain of little pups.
- Fish oils are also a potent source of renewing the energy levels and increase the stamina of the dogs
- Fish oil also slows down the growth of cancer in pooches.
As you step into a supermarket asking for best omega 3 for dogs, you would be given so many options. It could be really baffling at times, as there are so many products that have so many general and targeted benefits.
You will find Omega 3 for dogs with allergies, liquid fish oil for dogs, fish oil capsules for dogs, and what not! The obvious question is that how would you select the best one for your beloved pet. The answer is simple. Choose the one which has the highest concentration of EPA and DHA.
Fish oil for dogs are available from many sources, not all of which have the same concentration of EPA and DHA. While Krill, Sardine, Mackerel or Herrings have a higher percentage of EPA than DHA, the DHA content of Salmon, Pollock or Cod Liver oils beat the amount of EPA. As long as there is a minimum of 6-8% of EPA and DHA in particular fish oil, it is good to be considered for your pooch.
Another thing to look out for while buying the best fish oil for dogs is whether the oil is coming from farmed fishes or wild caught ones. While oil from wild caught fishes is what I recommend, not every manufacturer produces that.
If the oil is derived from wild caught fishes, usually they mention it as a highlight. If nothing is mentioned on the label, you will have to assume that it is from farmed fishes only. It is not that bad either, but nothing can beat the quality of fish oils coming from the wild caught ones.
As I mentioned already, it is good to have a right balance of EPA and DHA in the fish oil that are available for dogs. After reviewing a good number of commercial fish oil supplements, I have narrowed the list to few products which I think would be good for the overall well-being of your canine friend.
However, if your dog is allergic to any of the components of these fish oil supplements, do consult your vet before administering the product to the dog.
The best thing about the Wild Alaskan salmon oil for dogs is that it does not contain anything artificial. This 100% natural fish oil is prepared from wild caught salmons exclusively from the pristine waters of Alaska. It helps in promoting a number of health benefits, that include healthy skin, shining coat, better immune system, improved cardiovascular health, better functioning of brain and much more.
- Highly recommended by vets
- Product is 100% natural and free of mercury or other toxins
- Improves health of the dog in multiple aspects
- Helps in reducing yeast infections and allergies
- Molecularly distilled to provide highest levels of purity
- Suitable for dogs and cats of different breeds, sizes and age groups
- Improper dosage can lead to side effects like weight gain, bad breath, dizziness or nausea
With almost equal content of EPA and DHA, the Premium Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil for dogs and cats is one of the best fish oil for dogs that I would recommend. Most dogs like the taste of the product when served to them after adding to the dog food.
If you were looking for fish oil that would contain Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids at one go, the Omegease Fish oil for dogs and cats is the best pick. The 100% natural product contains oils from wild caught sardines, Herring, Mackerel and Anchovies which are fished from the clean and icy waters of North Atlantic.
It brings many health benefits to dogs which include reduced shedding and scratching, improved shine and quality of coat and fur, reduced stiff joints, improved immune system and cardiovascular health and much more.
- Contains human grade ingredients
- 18% EPA and 12% DHA along with 7% Omega-6 and 6% Omega-9
- Multiple health benefits
- No fishy odor
- Tastes great to both dogs and cats
- Product comes with 100% risk-free guarantee and full refund policy
- Pump of the bottle becomes leaky at times
- Can cause diarrhea in some dogs
Being a richer source of Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, this product brings about more health benefits for the pooch as compared to other fish oils. The product is bottled in GMP certified facility which makes it highly recommended by most veterinarians.
The Kirkland Signature fish oil is available in the form of soft gels which can be punctured to add the content to the dog food. The product contains 25% EPA and DHA with another 5% of other Omega-3 fatty acids taking the total percentage of Omega-3 fatty acids to 30%.
Every capsule contains about 300mg of Omega-3 fatty acids. The product is free of harmful substances like PCBs, dioxins and furans. The product contains fish oil from Sardines and Anchovy fish.
- Fish oil supplied from wild caught fishes from deep ocean waters
- Promotes vascular health
- Does not contain artificial color or flavor
- Free of yeast and gluten
- Requires at least 5-7 soft gels to meet EFA needs of dogs
As the EFA content of the product is comparatively low, it is not recommended in cases when fish oil is required to treat certain serious conditions like osteoarthritis or shedding issues. For general maintenance of dog health, this looks to be a good product though.
Available in the form of chewable tablets, the Amazing Omega-3 Rich Fish Oil is the best pick for dogs that are finicky about the taste and flavor of their food. The bacon and beef liver flavored chewable tablets does not contain any by-products and is 100% natural.
The product contain Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids which helps in promoting healthy heart, shiny coat, better skin, stronger immunity and reduced joint aches.
- Can be administered easily without any spills or mess
- Contains 18% EPA and 12% DHA
- Does not smell fishy
- Made in GMP compliant facility in the USA
- Backed by full refund policy
- Label does not confirm if made from wild caught fishes
- Not suited for bigger dogs with higher requirement of Omega-3 fatty acids
The hypoallergenic formula of the Amazing Omega-3 Rich Fish Oil makes it one of the best sources of Omega 3 for dogs with allergies. While the product does not contain any Vitamin E, that should not be a deterrent actually. You can always administer the additional dose of Vitamin E separately.
Derived from wild caught Sardines and Anchovies, the Omega-3 Pet soft gels are specially formulated for dogs. The product supports overall health improvement with special focus towards joint health, cardiac health, brain and eye development and immune system health. The Omega-3 fatty acid is in the form of triglycerides which is easy to absorb and yields better and faster results.
- Promotes overall health of the pet
- Contains 10% EPA and 6% DHA along with another 5% other Omega-3 fatty acids
- Easy to administer soft gels
- Can be used by both dogs and cats
- Does not contain artificial color or flavors
- Bit expensive as compared to other fish oil supplements for dogs
Nordic Naturals is a brand who has been producing highly potent nutritional supplements for humans, and they continue to do the same for their pet product range. The high content of EPA and DHA of this product makes it one the best fish oil supplements for dogs that are available in the market currently.
Grizzly Salmon Oil all Natural Dog Food Supplement – Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food Supplement in Pump-Bottle Dispenser
As the name suggests the fish oil has been derived from Alaskan salmons which are caught in the wild and not farmed. The product contains more than 15 Omega-3 fatty acids that include 11% DHA and 10% EPA as well.
Along with that it also contains Omega 6 and Arachidonic fatty acids which make it highly potent to promote hearth health and a healthy immune system. The 100% natural product also supports shiny and healthy coat of the dog.
- 100% natural product
- Promotes healthy heart, coat and immune system
- Pump bottle makes it easy to dispense the fish oil
- State of the art extraction process
- Thoroughly tested for safety and quality standards
- Available in 4 different sizes including 8, 16, 32, and 64 ounces
- Might leave a fishy smell when mixed with dog food
What makes the Grizzly Salmon Oil All-Natural Dog Food a recommended product is its packaging in the pump-bottle dispenser. The fish oil dosage for dogs can be monitored easily by the number of pumps and you will never end up giving more fish oil to your dog than required.
If all you are looking for is high concentrations of Omega-3 fatty acids in the fish oil for your dog, the Derma-3 twist caps is what you are looking for. The product is okay to be given to dogs that weigh between 30-90 pounds.
The other variant of the product which is meant for smaller dogs can be administered to dogs weighing 5-60 lbs. In addition to the essential EPA and DHA, the fish oil supplement also contains Vitamin A, D3 and E.
- Contains Vitamin E supplements as well
- Promotes healthy skin, joint health and stronger immunity
- Easy to administer capsules
- Can be used by dogs and cats
- Product is produced adhering to the standard guidelines of cGMP and US
- Does not contain Omega 6 or Omega 9 at all
- Not derived from wild caught fishes
The best thing about Derma3 products is that they have categorized product ranges for different sizes of dogs. The addition of vitamin E supplements makes it a better choice for those who do not like the idea of giving additional supplement for Vitamin E to their dogs.
With highest percentage of essential Omega-3 fatty acids (35%), especially EPA (18%) and DHA (12%), the Premium Liquid Omega-3 Fish Oil for Dogs and Cats is undoubtedly one of the best fish oil products for dogs.
The oil has been derived from the wild caught fishes from icy cold waters of Iceland and has been molecularly distilled. It contains zero filler and zero binders and looks after the healthy well-being of the pet dog.
- Does not contain any additives
- Free of mercury, PCBs, heavy metals, dioxins or pesticides
- Brings multiple health benefits in pet animals
- Ideal for cats and dogs both
- Available in pump bottles which allows convenient dispensing of the liquid fish oil
- Product meets all US and European pharmacopeia standards
- Pump may leak at times making it messy to handle
A regular serving of 5ml of the fish oil contains about 800mg EPA and 525mg DHA which pretty much suffices the EFA needs of the dogs. It is one of the most recommended liquid fish oil for dogs that are available currently.
Another option of fish oil in pump bottles is the Grizzly Pollock oil. The oil is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 and offers the best ratio of these two fatty acids among all other liquid fish oils for dogs. The oil is derived from wild caught Alaskan Pollock and is bottled at state of the art facility that keeps the oil away from air till the time it gets pumped into the food bowl of the pet.
- Promotes healthy skin
- Improves cardiac health
- Promotes healthy joints
- Good for the eyes and the nervous system
- Highest Omega 3:6 ratio at 13:14
- Available in 5 sizes ranging from 4 ounce to 64 ounce
- Does not contain Omega-9 at all
- Pump nozzle drips at times
The Grizzly Pollock oil is one of those fish oils which does not smell too strong and is thus liked by most dogs. The highest ratio of Omega 3:6 is what makes it a highly recommended product in this review.
The fatty acids of the Vetoquinol AllerG 3 is found in the form of triglycerides which has better efficacy than the fatty acids found in free form or in the form of ethyl ester. The product contains Vitamin E along with vitamins A and D3. High content of EPA and DHA lets the product promote a number of healthy conditions like better heart health, joint health, immune system and skin health.
- Made from wild caught fishes
- 180mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA per 1000 mg of fish oil
- Does not contain any artificial flavors
- Highly economic source of Omega-3 fatty acid
- Does not cause deficiency of Vitamin E levels
- Not meant for dogs of large breeds
The capsules of the Vetoquinol AllerG 3 can be fed as a whole or punctured to mix the liquid to the dog food. As the product does not have a strong smell of fish, it is liked by most pooches. The product is categorically meant for medium breed dogs.
When it comes to Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oils, there is no source as rich as Salmon oil. The Alaska Naturals Salmon Oil for Dogs is made from wild caught salmons from the clean and cold waters of Alaska. The freshness of the oil is maintained with the help of rosemary extract which also stabilizes the oil. It is very good for healthy skin, glistening coat, healthy heart and stronger immune system.
- Extracted from 100% natural wild caught salmons
- Does not contain any artificial preservatives
- Free of synthetic flavors and harmful chemicals
- Contains tocopherols which serves as a source of Vitamin E
- Rosemary extract neutralizes the taste and removes odor of fish
- Not available in small sizes
The Alaska Naturals Salmon Oil for Dogs is a rich source of essential Omega-3 fatty acids, especially EPA and DHA. The product is highly recommended by vets owing to the many health benefits that it brings along with it.
How much omega 3 for dogs per day?
Although you may get conflicting opinions on this, but the ideal amount of Omega-3 for dogs per day should be around 1500-2000 mg. A simple way to determine the dosage is to multiply the weight of dog in pounds by 20 to get the required dosage of EPA.
The remaining can be filled up by DHA which would anyways be available in the fish oil fatty acids. The dosage would increase if a particular condition is to be treated though.
Can dogs eat vitamin E?
Yes, definitely they can. As a matter of fact, Vitamin E should be added as a supplement when you feed Omega-3 to your dog. There is a slight tendency of the dog running low in Vitamin E when it takes high fat diets which contains large portions of fatty acids like Omega 3.
You can either get separate vitamin E supplements for your pooch or treat him with supplements that contain both fish oil and vitamin E for dogs.
What does vitamin E do for dogs?
Vitamin E serves as a powerful antioxidant, protecting the dog’s body from the free radicals that gets added due to the dietary fat. In addition to that, Vitamin E helps in strengthening the immune system, improves the skin’s health and reduces chances of osteoarthritis in dogs as well. It also helps in maintaining the eye health and promoting fertility in dogs.
Is fish oil good for dogs?
The answer is an emphatic yes! I have already mentioned about the various benefits of fish oil on dogs in the previous section. However, over dosage can cause certain complications as well.
Does the ratio of EPA to DHA matter?
Yes it does. Ideally you should be looking at a ratio of EPA: DHA to be around 3:1 or 4:1. Just keep in mind that for an average to large sized pooch you would need to take the total dosage of Omega-3 to around 1500-2000 mg.
Can I feed my dog with human fish oil?
Yes, you can. However as fish oil for humans contains different amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, you need to check the label to ensure that you are feeding your dog with the right amount of Omega-3.
If the label reads 1000mg of Fish oil or 1000 mg of EFA (essential fatty acids), that does not mean 1000 mg of Omega-3 essentially. Depending on the Omega-3 content, you may need to use up to 2 capsules of human grade Fish oil for your dog.
Can my dog be allergic towards fish oil?
It certainly can be allergic at time. The symptoms of fish oil allergies that are seen in most dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, lameness, slow wound healing, internal bleeding and even death.
While the initial symptoms could be caused due to other reasons as well, it is always safe to stop administering fish oil and consult a vet if you observe any of these symptoms in your dog after starting to take fish oil supplements.
Now that you are aware of the many benefits of fish oil and have gone through the unbiased reviews of some of the most popular fish oil supplements for your dog, it is time to put your acts together and order for the most suitable product for your dog.
I have reviewed these from a totally unbiased perspective and have tried to highlight the true benefits and challenges of the products so that you can make a well-informed choice.