Top 5 Best Dog Food for Labs
Latest Update: June 14, 2017
- Age Range Description
- Item Dimensions
- Item Weight
- Special Ingredients
- Our editors rating
- Price range
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 4.75 x 16 x 24.5 in
- 26 lbs
- Protein focused nutrition
- Contains only premium, all natural ingredients
- Proudly made only in the USA
- 9.0 of 10
- Wilderness Blue Buffalo High Protein Dry Adult Dog Food
- 15.5 x 24.5 x 4 in
- 24 lbs
- High-protein food
- Contains real salmon, chicken meal and fish meal
- Contains BLUEs exclusive LifeSource Bits
- 9.0 of 10
- Brothers Complete Turkey Meal and Egg Advanced Allergy Formula, 25-Pound
- for all life stages
- 4 x 25 x 15 in
- 25 lbs
- Over 90% animal proteins
- GMO free. Human grade proteins
- Potato free advanced allergy formula
- 9.2 of 10
- CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors
- for all life stages
- 5 x 32 x 18 in
- 30 lbs
- all-natural, grain-free
- Premium ingredients: no corn, wheat, or soy
- Vet formulated for all ages, breeds & sizes
- Packaging may vary
- Optimum protein from chicken meal for a nutritionally dense formula
- 8.8 of 10
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- 26 x 21 x 5 in
- 30 lbs
- Dog Food for Labrador Retrievers over 15 months old
- Support healthy joint function and improve mobility
- Healthy skin and coat development
- 9.2 of 10
In this blog, we are going to guide you how you can choose the best food for Labrador as well as review 8 best dog food for Labs from 8 different brands. Grab a mug of coffee and stay with us till the end.
Labrador Retriever, popularly known as Lab, is one of the most popular breeds of dog in the world. Labs do great as disability assistance, and they are usually trained to assist kids and blinds as well as to help law enforcement perform detection works. They are also good at sport and hunting.
I know when you are thinking of welcoming a four-legged furry friend to your home, you will keep Labs on the top of your list. And finally, you may get one.
If you are smart enough, you should already have some idea what is the best dog food for Labradors before you bring him home. Ask your breeder or the shelter, from which you adopt your dog, what they’ve been feeding him and stick to it for 3-4 weeks until he gets used to new home. Then you may consider switching to another food if he needs to.
What does a Labrador need? Well, all domestic dogs have specific requirements that must be fulfilled to ensure their physical and mental health. Followings are most important:
a) Nutritionally balanced food and fresh water.
b) Adequate veterinary and health care as needed.
c) Daily exercise and manner training.
e) A safe living environment.
f) Human companionship.
1. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
2. Wilderness Blue Buffalo High Protein Dry Adult Dog Food
3. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
4. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
5. Brothers Complete Turkey Meal and Egg Advanced Allergy Formula, 25-Pound
6. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Adult Dogs, 40 Pound Bag
7. CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Seniors
8. Fromm Family Foods 727050 Gold Large Breed 33 lb Puppy Dry Food (1 Pack)
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Well, before I answer this question you need to know what makes a dog food best dog food and what ingredients must be found in the best dog food for Labs.
Your Lab, like other dogs, needs the following nutrients to be healthy. If you can find these ingredients in a dog food, that means that’s the best food for Labs.
1. Protein: This supplement is essential for many body functions, for example, the development and repair of muscles, bones and other body tissues; the generation of disease-fighting antibodies; and the creation of chemicals and hormones. Many food items contain protein, yet just meat and soybean proteins are complete proteins- – proteins that contain all of the 22 necessary amino acids.
2. Sugars: Carbs give energy to nearly every function in your Lab’s body. Carbs are found in cereal grains and other plant items. The body is good at putting away them. On the off chance that you encourage your Lab an excessive number of carbohydrates, the excess will be turned into a compound called glycogen and put away in the liver or muscles. When these capacity destinations are full, any carbohydrates will be converted to fat.
3. Fat: This supplement is additionally a principal fuel for Lab’s body. It’s essential for the creation of a few hormones, the proper working of the nervous system and specific vitamins. Fat is likewise utilized as a backup fuel when carbohydrates are not accessible or can’t be utilized by the body (as in diabetes).
As many people know from their experience, fat is immediately stored in the body. Stored fat keeps up body temperature in cold climate and keeps Labs warm when they leap into the near-freezing water. We know fat is found in both plant and animal items.
4. Vitamins and minerals: These supplements take part in a variety of bodily functions, including bone development and healing, digestion system, body fluid balance as well as muscle and nerve function. Just a little amount of vitamins and minerals are required for these functions, and excessive amounts can be dangerous for your furry friend. You would rather be more careful.
5. Water: This major component of every living human and animal is also an essential participant in every bodily function. Because the body cannot store water and its conserving capacity is very limited. That’s why your Lab needs an adequate amount of fresh water every day.
I know now you are thinking how I can know my dog food have all these ingredients and completely balanced as well as it’s the best food for Labrador? Well, the simplest way to be sure if the food is nutritionally balanced is to read the label of the pack.
But I just came to know most of the dog owners are not interested in reading labels or don’t know the meaning of the terms written on the label. So I am planning to give you guys a list of food recommendations and recommended brands for Labradors so that you don’t have to look anywhere else for the best dog food for Labrador.
The Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken is 100% natural grain free dog food for adult Labs. The recipe contains turkey, chicken, salmon oil, fruits, and vegetables.
These elements ensure the growth of you furry friend and fulfill the demand of antioxidants, probiotics, vitamins and minerals.
Wellness CORE grain-free dog food makes sure you Lab gets everything he needs to maintain a healthy life. The grain-free, nutrient-rich recipe provides high-quality protein for your four-legged friend with no meat by-products or fillers, grain, corn, soy, wheat gluten or not even artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
Wellness CORE should be served one-year-old dogs or older. If you are switching from another dog food, it is important that you slowly transit your dog from his current diet.
It may take a couple of days to adapt to the new nutrient levels. You better gradually mix in the new food over a 5-7 day period and increase the amount each day.
As Wellness CORE is a dry food, you should always keep a bowl of fresh water available at where your dog eats while feeding.
My dog really loves his Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food as his favorite thing in the world is salmon.
This Salmon Formula Grain-Free dry dog food contains real salmon, chicken, and fish. Its balanced carbohydrates and calories meet your dog’s daily dietary needs. It is one of the best food for senior Labrador Retrievers.
The diet of wolves inspires Wilderness Blue Buffalo to manufacture a grain-free protein-rich food that contains more of the delicious salmon every dog loves.
If your vet shows you how many artificial coloring and fillers are used in the dog food, you are gonna be mad at most of the so-called brands.
But Blue Wilderness makes sure the food is only made with natural ingredients such as salmon, chicken, fish, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, and carrots. These elements made it the best dog food for Labradors on the market.
If your dog has skin allergies or sensitive stomach, you better stick to only this food and live a tense-free happy life with your beloved furry friend.
With 90 percent 5-star review Royal Canin Food for Labrador Retriever Health Nutrition is undoubtedly one of the best dog food for Labradors over 15 months old on the market.
The recipe ingredients are chicken, chicken fat, corn gluten, oatmeal, barley, brown rice, natural chicken flavor, cellulose, dried brewers yeast, anchovy oil, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, soya oil, borage oil and salt. It also has some other ingredients that contain vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and vitamin E.
Don’t worry! Royal Canin partnered with veterinarians, breeders, and other pet experts to make sure that their formula is perfect and doesn’t have any side effect of flaw. They balanced everything it needs to become the best dog food for Labradors and, the good news is, they are successful.
The Labrador Retriever Adult formula features an exclusive kibble tailor made for each breed. Labrador Retrievers’ solid body, strong bones and his natural predisposition to gain weight are among the factors like an athlete which can put stress on his joints. This food helps keep his bones and joints healthy and his weight ideal.
The Labrador Retriever Adult formula also has the ability to maintain the healthy skin and coat as it supports the skin’s role as a barrier with an exclusive complex of nutrients.
I think it is 100% complete and balanced nutrition.
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food is one of the top seller dog food on Amazon with 4.5-star feedback.
It has a grain-free formula for all life stages with sweet potatoes and peas providing highly digestible energy for your active dog.
Taste of the Wild Dry grain-free dog food is made with real roasted meat to make the taste a big “wow” and supplemented with fruits and vegetables to deliver natural antioxidants to protect your buddy’s body from the damage of everyday living and support a healthy immune system.
Taste of the Wild Dray Dog Food has everything in it to contest with other popular brands and be the best dog food for Labradors on the dog foods market. I suggest you go ahead and give him one. If he doesn’t like it, you may blame me.
If your dog has skin allergies, Brothers Complete Allergy Formula can be the ideal dog food for your dog.
If you have already tried a variety of premium dog foods for you furry friend and got lots of bad experience, I think you should try Brothers Complete Dog Food Allergy Formula today.
You don’t have to add anything to it to make your dog happy. I bet you will be glad to find it on Amazon and make the purchase.
You may find this dog food quite expensive. But it worth it. You may have been dealing with your dog’s skin allergies and sensitive stomach after you feed him cheaper foods. Those cheaper foods cost you more than double and don’t let you live a tense-free life.
I suggest you have a try Brothers Complete Dog Food for once and then you will realize what the big difference between those cheap foods and Brothers Complete is. Hey, be happy and make you furry friend happy.
Diamond Naturals Grain Free Food is made with real beef protein that provides optimal nutrition for dogs that prefer the taste of beef.
It has no corn, wheat, and soy as some dogs may be sensitive to chicken or corn.
My friend Sasha buys this food for yellow Labs. Her dog seems OK with it. She has been feeding her dog Diamond Naturals Grain Free Food last 5 months and hadn’t face any trouble yet.
I suggest you purchase it because the ingredients are real food instead of fillers like most of the brands use. Even its price is very low compared to its quality.
As Sasha has good experience with yellow Labs, it may also be a good food for black labs and chocolate labs.
If you love your furry friend, I know you do, read the label on the pack. You don’t have to buy Diamond Naturals Dry Food, but if you do, you won’t be disappointed. Hope this review helps.
CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Senior Labrador Retrievers
I think you guys know more than me about the legendary CANIDAE dog food company.
Now we are talking about CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Adults & Senior Labrador Retrievers. I think you have already got that one formula for all ages, breeds, and sizes. If you have a Lab puppy, it is the best dry dog food for Lab puppies. If you have an adult Lab, it is the best for him too. So one can claim the it is the best food for Labs from all ages.
The formula is made in the USA, and no meat by-products or fillers, grain, corn, soy, wheat gluten or not even artificial preservatives, colors or flavors have been used in it. Everything is produced to meet fixed AAFCO nutritional levels. That means you don’t have to worry about its quality.
You may think the price should be high. Well, the good news is it’s not!!
The most amazing thing that I loved most is CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food is the perfect dog food for all life stages! You may have more than one pet. But you just need only one food to make them happy.
Quality dog food with healthy ingredients. It is well-priced on Amazon compared to the quality and amount of other available dog foods. I definitely recommend CANIDAE Life Stages Dry Dog Food.
Fromm Family Foods 727050 is the best dog food for Lab puppies money can buy. It always focuses on doing what’s the best for their customers.
Fromm is a family owned and operated company. Junior family members work closely under the senior members’ supervision to ensure the quality of their product. This is what makes Fromm Family Foods 727050 the best food for Labs.
Fromm Family Foods 727050 is one of the highest ranked puppy foods for natural ingredients on Amazon.
Its prime ingredients are fish oil and probiotics that are the essential element for your dog while he is going through a growth time.
Considering all the facts, I do recommend it.
1. What is the best food for labs?
Ans. The food that is grain-free and nutrient-rich with no meat by-products or fillers, grain, corn, soy, wheat gluten or not even artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
2. How much to feed a Labrador?
Ans. Feed 10-25 pounds lab 3/4 to 1 cup, 25-50 pounds lab 1-2 cups, 50-75 pounds lab 2-2 ½ cups and over 75 pounds lab 2-4 cups dry food.
3. How much should I feed my Labrador retriever?
Ans. The answer is same as question 2. Feed 10-25 pounds lab 3/4 to 1 cup, 25-50 pounds lab 1-2 cups, 50-75 pounds lab 2-2 ½ cups and over 75 pounds lab 2-4 cups dry food.
4. How much to feed a Labrador puppy?
Ans. For 2 months old puppy 2-9 ounces per day, 4 meals per day, 2 ounces per meal.
For 3 months old puppy 9-11 ounces per day, 3 meals per day, 3-3.5 ounces per meal.
For 6 months old puppy 12-16 ounces per day, 2 meals per day, 6-8 ounces per meal.
5. Are Labradors good swimmers?
Ans. Yes! They have webbed toes that help them swim. They also use their tail to help them swim because it helps them steer them in the right direction.
6. What else do webbed feet help labs do besides swim?
Ans. They work pretty much as snowshoes as well. It keeps the snow from building up between their toes so that they can stay running on top of the snow.
7. What should I know about Labradors’ play time?
Ans. Labradors love to play. They need 30-60 minutes of exercise a day in order to stay healthy. If they do not get the exercise that they need they may become bored and chew things up.
Labs live to train and please their owners. There is a lot of training you can do with a lab. You can teach them to sit, lie down, roll over, and shake and so much more.
One of labs favorite things to do is play fetch. They also love to play with other dogs.
Video: Top 10 Dog Foods for Health: What is the Best Dog Food Brand?
We have discussed how you can choose the best food for Labs and what ingredients make a dog food the best dog food. Then we have even tried to make things easier for you as market is very deceptive with so many options. We have reviewed the best food for Labs from eight different companies.
We have only picked the best dog food for labradors with minimum 4.5-star positive feedbacks from Amazon verified buyers. I always make sure our recommended products are the best on the market. If you are looking for the best dog food, you can just go ahead and make the purchase without thinking twice.
Be happy and make you furry friend happy.
If you’re interested in reading similar articles, here’s good one on Grain Free Dog Treats.
Worried about the health of your dog. Then read more about your pet: