Top 5 Best Dog Shampoo
Latest Update: June 29, 2017
- Age Range Description
- Item Dimensions
- Item Weight
- Our editors rating
- Price range
- Hartz Groomers Best Puppy Shampoo
- 3.5 x 1.6 x 9.1 in
- 3 lbs
- Tearless formula
- Extra gentle
- Gentle Jasmine fragrance
- Cleans & conditions
- Can be used on all dogs
- 8.0 of 10
- Demodex Mange Shampoo Dogs n Mites 6.0 Oz
- All ages
- 1.3 x 1.3 x 7.1 in
- 0.5 lbs
- Have no pesticides or antibiotics
- Relief from itching, scratching and skin irritation
- Repair and recover your dogs skin immune system
- Supports strong skin and vibrant coat
- Kills demodex mites
- 8.4 of 10
- Fresh Dog Waterless Bath Foam Shampoo
- All ages
- 7.2 x 1.9 x 1.9 in
- 0.5 lbs
- For all hair/fur types
- No water needed
- Safe for dogs and puppies 6 weeks of age and older
- No sticky residue
- Repels dirt, dries quickly,
- 7.4 of 10
- Perfect Coat White Pearl Shampoo
- All ages
- 2.5 x 4.5 x 9.9 in
- 2.3 lbs
- Contains natural pearlescent whiteners
- Long-lasting coconut fragrance
- Helps maintain brilliance of white and light coats
- Formulated with Aloe Vera
- 8.4 of 10
- Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Pet Shampoo
- All ages
- 7.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 in
- 0.9 lbs
- Excellent degreaser
- Benzoyl peroxide shampoo
- Aids in the opening and flushing of hair follicles
- Contains natural moisturizers to promote hydration
- 9.0 of 10
Watching pet dogs play in the puddle is a cute thing, but getting the dirt off the furry coat is certainly not. If it would have been okay to take the dog to the bathtub for a good dip every day I could have still allowed my pup to play at his will.
However, even if you use the best dog shampoo, bathing a dog daily rips off the moisture from their skin and hence is strictly prohibited by the vet. Does that mean that the poor animal will not enjoy rolling on the ground and play?
It certainly will. Provided you, the owner of the dog, get the right kind of pet shampoo that will keep the skin healthy and the coat shiny. A good shampoo will not only keep the skin in good shape, but will also help in alleviating a number of skin conditions that could trouble the dog. Itchy and dry skin, ticks and fleas, and dry and brittle fur are some of the common issues that most dogs live with.
1. Demodex Mange Shampoo Dogs n Mites 6.0 Oz
2. Fresh Dog Waterless Bath Foam Shampoo
3. Perfect Coat Natural Oatmeal Shampoo – French Vanilla
4. Fresh N Clean Pet Shampoo
5. Perfect Coat White Pearl Shampoo
6. Soap Free Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
7. Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
8. Best Shampoo for Odor
9. Hartz Groomer’s Best Puppy Shampoo
10. Critter Concepts All Natural Shampoo for Allergies, for Itchy Skin
11. Antifungal Shampoo
12. John Paul Pet Tea Tree Shampoo 16oz
13. Yeast Malaseb Shampoo
14. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Conditioner
15. Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Pet Shampoo
16. Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo
17. Best Antibacterial Shampoo
18. Triple Action Flea and Tick Shampoo
19. Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Organic Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo for Cat and Dog
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Shopping for a shampoo is possibly bit more difficult than shopping a shampoo for humans. While buying a shampoo for humans, I would possibly pick the one which has the best discount or claims to work fine with my hair type.
The equation is not so simple when you go to buy for your pooch. If you buy a medicated dog shampoo for lice, that may help in freeing the coat from pests, but may end up drying the skin even more. There are multiple factors that need to be considered while picking the shampoo for the dog. These factors include:
- The skin condition of the dog
- Age of the dog
- Whether the dog gets trouble by fleas or ticks
- How smelly your dog is
- How shiny the coat of the dog is
- How tangled the hairs of the dog get
- Your convenience to bathe the dog
Regardless of what type of shampoo you choose, all you need to remember is that the product should not contain any artificial dyes. I strongly recommend that products with natural fragrances like chamomile, citrus, or lavender should be preferred over those chemical stuffed shampoos.
Do not forget to take the opinion of your vet as well. He would probably know about the health of the dog’s skin slightly better than you.
Given below is a list of shampoos for dogs which I think are the best bathing and grooming solutions that are available in the market currently. The list is made as per the dog’s needs and should make life of the owner easy.
There are many types of shampoos which are marketed by different companies. Finding out the best one for the dog is certainly not impossible, but it is a difficult task for sure. Going through the reviews of each product that are scattered all over the web is definitely a tedious task. To make things easy, I present the platter of reviews of the best dog shampoos. Going through these will make your task of choosing the best one easy.
As the name suggests, the Dogs n Mites is meant to treat puppies and dogs that are suffering from mange. The shampoo is known for giving good results in healing wounds, and treating conditions like skin irritation or itching, making it one of the best flea shampoo for dogs.
The major ingredients of the shampoo include Birch leaves, Borage seed oil, Black Bryony, tea tree oil, lime sulfur, neem oil, lemon grass oil, horsetail bark extract and multiple essential vitamins along with other natural ingredients.
- Gives fast relief from itching and irritating skin
- Contains vitamin E which is a natural antioxidant
- Contains Vitamin C that strengthens the skin immune system of the dog
- Can be used by children and other family members as well
- Does not contain any antibiotic or pesticide
- Developed and produced in the USA
- Not recommended for treating severe forms of mange
- Medicine like smell
The shampoo is good to kill the mange mites and is also very effective in controlling hair loss. Its 100% natural ingredients will not cause any additional harm to the dog’s skin.
Ideal for cleaning the coat of dogs that hate water or are injured, the Fresh Dog waterless bath foam shampoo is a much reliable dry shampoo for dogs. It makes cleaning the dirty hairs of the dog really easy and quick. In addition to cleaning, the coconut derived formula also conditions the coat and leaves a silky appearance behind.
- Easy application of foam based formula
- Cleans dirt and other contaminants for the hair really quick
- Ideal for dogs who do not like being in contact with water
- Can be used for all hair types
- Does not leave any sticky overdue
- Manufactured in the USA
- Competitively priced
- Not able to remove fleas from the dog’s coat
- Not very effective to clean dirty paws of the pooch
This waterless shampoo makes the job of any caregiver easier by saving him from the trouble of bathing the dog and then rinsing him dry. Once the foam is spread out, a quick massage on the skin gets the dirt off it. Using the product is akin to a bath for the dog.
Perfect Coat is known for making shampoos that contain quality ingredients, and the Natural Oatmeal shampoo is no exception to that. The formula containing natural oatmeal and microencapsulated liposome works wonderfully on calming the dry, irritated and itchy skin of the dog. The easy rinse formula of the shampoo does not let any shampoo solid settling down on the dog’s coat, which makes the rinsing easy and less time-consuming.
Scented with French Vanilla fragrance, this shampoo will keep the dogs smelling nice and fresh. The ingredients include Water, rinsing agent, colloidal oatmeal mild surfactant blend, fragrance, preservatives (Diazolidinyl Urea, Parabens), and extract of chamomile, Provitamin B, and Salt.
- Made from natural conditioners
- Lathers well
- Works well with different breeds of dogs
- Less bathing time due to easy rinse formula
- Fragrance of French Vanilla lasts for long
- Priced very competitively
The specially formulate shampoo contain panthenol which moisturizes the dry skin and helps in maintaining the oil levels of the skin without any added treatment, making it one of the best shampoo for dogs. This one is ideal for dogs that love to get into the mud more often.
The Fresh and clean pet shampoo is made with the purpose to keep the dog’s coat fresh, scented and manageable. There is an anti static agent used in the shampoo, which keeps the dog’s coat detangled. Besides the perfume used in the shampoo base keeps the dog’s body odor fresh and nice for days. Ingredients used in the formula are sodium, cocomide dietanolamne, sulfosuccinate, cocomidopropyl betaine, laureth sufate, aloe vera gel, disodium oleamido mea, and perfume.
Usage is pretty easy. The dog’s coat has to be wetted with warm water, and then you need to use it as much as required in the normal shampooing method. Use once or twice as needed, and take care to rinse off the shampoo well.
- Easy to apply product
- Suitable for all breeds of dogs
- Tearless formula does not causes eye pain while bathing
- Long lasting formula keeps the dog clean and smelling fresh for weeks
- The anti static agent in the shampoo keeps the coat detangled and easy to brush and manage
- Mats and tangles are removed by the wash
- Vitamin E, aloe, and wheat protein restores moisture to the dog’s coat
- Causes flaky skin or itchiness in some dogs
To make the shampoo work for your pet, it has to be allowed to sit on the coat for long. Only then you would see it softening the fur fully.
The Perfect coat shampoo is whitening and brightening shampoo, and is a great formula to be used on dogs with a light colored or white colored coat. The shampoo is best to keep the coat color fresh and shining with a radiance of cleanliness and health. Moreover the formula also ensures that a fresh coconut fragrance is left on the dog boy after shampooing.
Problems like ticks and fleas, dirt and bad odor all will be gone with the use of the Perfect coat shampoo. It contains special pearlescent ingredients which bring the cleanliness, shine and brilliance to the furry coat and the shampoo does not leach way the natural oils and moisture out of the coat.
- Tearless formula
- Hypoallergenic formula which is ideal for sensitive skin
- Kills ticks and fleas
- Every wash makes the dog’s coat more radiant and shiny with cleanliness and brilliance
- A fresh coconut scent in the formula leaves the dog smelling
- Does not takes off natural moisture and oils from the skin, and does not dries skin
- Few dogs suffer from allergic reactions
- Not good for owners who do not prefer the smell of coconut
While using the product you need to keep your expectation of the whitening effect realistic, and not expect the dog to get a few shades fairer.
All natural shampoo has all the right ingredients in it to keep your pet fresh and clean, and smell the best. The shampoo is totally biodegradable, and contains no harmful ingredients that will be tough and harsh on the dog skin.
It doesn’t contains soap, and contain all natural ingredients. The smell is really long lasting and great. It is safe and gentle on the skin, and every wash gives real effective results.
- Soap-free formula does not harm the dog’s skin
- Contains oatmeal which is much useful for healthy skin
- Contains aloe Vera which veterinarians recommends for the dog skin
- Irritated skin, or healing skin, or dry skin, which needs more care and gentle handling, can be washed with this soap free gentle and effective formula.
- Available in many fragrances makes it one of the best smelling dog shampoos
- Almond oil is god for skin and rejuvenates dry healing skin.
- Not recommended for dogs with hot spots
If the dog is prone to allergies then this one may trigger another. Hence, a careful watch after the use would be a smart thing to do. Otherwise, this safe organic dog shampoo is one of the best picks for dogs.
The natural formulation is a product for the sensitive skinned dogs, which may not accept all shampoos well but selectively adapt with gentle formulas. The furry coat will be left moisturized. If the dog is affected by dry or cracked skin, or allergic to any product, then this shampoo is the right dog care product. The cracked and dry skin gets smooth, and then gets soft with it./p>
Special formulation does not let flea or tick care topical applications on the coat get washed off with the shampoo wash. Aloe Vera and vitamin E are some of the natural ingredients in the shampoo that helps keep the skin moisturized, soft, and free from irritation and itches.
- Ideal product for sensitive skin
- Contains natural ingredients in formula
- Irritated dry and itchy skin can be washed with the shampoo
- Skin is rendered sift and smooth after use
- Relieves itches
- Seasonal allergies are alleviated with the use of the shampoo
- Not appropriate for dog that are extremely allergic to most products.
- Contains high amount of perfume which could make the smell too powerful
The soap-free and tearless formula of the Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo for dry skin makes it easy for the caregiver to use while bathing the dog. If the dog is suffering from itching skin or has a dry and brittle coat, this shampoo is the best bathing solution.
The Canac Smelly shampoo is a mild formulation that can rinse off foul odor and bad smell off the body of your dog. If you are in problem with a dog that smells bad, and if the dog has the habit of going to all smelly places, rub its body in such places, and pick up foul smell from places through activities, then you can get its body odor cleaned off with this mild shampoo.
Without affecting the skin’s softness and without drying or irritating the skin, the shampoo can set a really great perfume in the body of the dog that will stay on for long.
- Mild formula
- Does not irritates skin
- Can banish any sort of bad odor
- The fresh smell stays on for long
- Dog needs to be kept indoors till the time the coat dries up. This could be troublesome for dogs that highly active.
Dow owners looking for a solution to their smelly dog would find the product helpful. Wherever the dog goes, and whatever bad odor it collects can go off at one wash, and the freshness with the shampoo’s scent will stay.
Pups can be cleaned without worry of tears or irritation with this puppy shampoo. The shampoo is a mild one, and works on all dog types. This shampoo can be used on all types of dogs, and even all ages though the formulation is specially made gentle for the tender puppy skin.
The shampoo is a no tears formula, and also has no skin irritants so that the mild care can leave the pup’s skin fresh and clean and doesn’t dries the skin. The fragrance used is for jasmine, and the fragrance is no too loud; it’s a mild scent.
- Suitable for all dog types
- Made soft and gentle for sensitive and tender puppy skin
- Contains no tears formula
- Scented with jasmine perfume
- Fragrance is not loud but mild
- Many pet owners do not like the excess watery formula
- Gets consumed more than other shampoos
Owners of puppies may find the product to be mild and gentle for the beginner dog care, and this will not alleviate any reactions or allergies in the skin. Some of the ingredients in it that soothes the skin are Tea Tree oil, Sunflower oil and Shea butter.
The All Natural Shampoo for dogs by Critter Concepts is a magical potion that gives miraculous relief against dry and itchy skin. The shampoo is categorically formulated for dogs with sensitive ad allergic skin. The major ingredients of the shampoo include tea tree oil, sunflower oil and Shea butter, which not only make the coat shinier and silky but also leave a great smell behind.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Works great in healing allergies and hot spots
- Gives great value for money
- Manufactured in the USA
- Recommended by veterinarians and groomers worldwide
With ingredients like Panthenol, D-Limonene Oil and Allantonin, this shampoo gives a number of therapeutic benefits to the dog. This product is designed to put a stop to the painful scene of the poor animal getting tortured by the dry and itchy skin only because it has a skin which is prone to allergies. The All Natural shampoo was a winner in 2016 and it will continue to be so in 2017 as well.
The shampoo claims to clean the dog’s coat while rejuvenating the coat, and cleaning it without drying it. It doesn’t contain fillers like many other shampoos in the market does, and contains only 2% of Miconazole Nitrate and 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate as the main ingredients, and also contains the most important few ingredients which actually are required. The shampoo has a nice and natural smell of its own, which leaves the coat smelling fresh and clean.
- Contains no fillers
- Smells great
- Made of all mild ingredients
- Required just a little
- Small amount forms lot of lather
- Rejuvenates and disinfects coat without irritating or drying
- Not all dogs may get this equally effective and a few cases may scratch more and get allergies due to it.
The shampoo is a nice formulation for taking care of the dog’s coat with healthy and safe ingredients which are mild on skin, and effective in cleaning.
John Paul Pet Tea Tree Shampoo is one of those very few pet products that involve the usage of tea tree oil. The shampoo uses environment friendly ingredients and the formula was tested on humans before being marketed for the pets. The formula contains tea tree leaf oil along with eucalyptus, which allows hot spots to heal and reduces skin irritation as well. Presence of almond oil and chamomiles soothes the skin and Aloe Vera helps in keeping the dog skin moist.
- Environmentally safe product
- Contains no synthetic pyretheroids
- Reduces skin irritation in addition to cleansing and soothing the skin and coat
- Helps in getting rid of fleas as well
- Can be used for dogs, cats and horses
- Part for profit goes for the noble cause of ethical and humane treatment of animals
- Made in USA
- The smell does not last long
- The fragrance of tea tree and eucalyptus is not liked by few owners
John Paul Pet Tea Tree Shampoo is very good for those who want to support the green cause along with keeping their pooches clean and healthy. The environment friendly ingredients of this anti itch shampoo for dogs will not only keep the skin of the dogs clean, but will also ensure that Mother Nature is not tortured with chemical wastes.
Malaseb shampoo is developed for dogs that are suffering with fungal and bacterial issues like ringworm, dandruff, dermatitis and other forms of bacterial infections. The shampoo contains 2% Miconazole Nitrate, which is a strong antifungal agent and 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate, which is known to be an antimicrobial compound. The presence of these strong agents helps the shampoo fight the bacteria and yeast and give the dog a healthy and clean skin and fairs.
- Unique formula containing antifungal and antimicrobial agents
- Highly effective against bacterial, yeast and fungus
- Cleans fur and degreases the coat very effectively
- Free of dyes
- Okay to be used on cats and horses as well
- Does not have any fragrance
- Formula is not tearless
When it comes to relieving the pet from the annoying discomfort of a skin infection, the Malaseb Shampoo is the best solution. Designed to fight bacterial infestations, this shampoo is the best choice to bring about optimal therapeutic health.
The FURminator deshedding ultra premium conditioner is developed to control the shedding of hair which is a common problem for most dogs. The dog conditioner helps maintain the pH balance of the skin after a shampoo bath. In addition to conditioning the skin, the unique formula that contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, aloe Vera and chamomile extract also protects the hair from drying, thereby reducing breakage. In addition to being used for adult dogs, the conditioner can also be used for puppies.
- Reduces shedding of hair drastically
- Conditions the skin and makes the coat softer
- Not known for causing rashes or dryness of the skin
- Does not contain any chemical dyes or parabens
- Prevents odor from the dog’s body
- Can be used on cats as well
- Leaves a nice smell
- Some users find shampoo solids getting deposited on the skin
With the superior de-shedding performance, the FURminator ultra premium conditioner is one of the most effective grooming products for the dogs. Regular application of the conditioner keeps the coat silky and shiny and makes the dog look nice.
Davis Benzoyl Peroxide is a deep cleansing shampoo that is useful for treating conditions like canine and feline acne, seborrhea dermatitis, demodectic mange and dermatitis. Along with degreasing the coats it is also a very good moisturizer that hydrates the skin as well as the coats. It is made up of 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, Ammonium laurel sulfate, proprietary polymer, reserve osmosis purified water and natural coconut based lathering agent that opens and flushes the hair follicles.
- Useful in treating fungal infection of your pets.
- Very efficient in degreasing the coat of the pet.
- The natural moisturizers are useful for hydrating the skin.
- Not harsh on skin and thus can be used regularly.
- Useful for both dogs and cats.
- It is very useful in opening the hair follicles thus keep them clean for long.
- The shampoo is very strong and hence while using it instructions must be followed properly.
- Sometimes irritation may increase after using this shampoo.
Although few problems are encountered but mostly this shampoo gives a soothing effect to the dogs after it is applied on them. However, while using it gloves must be worn.
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo, Effective for Seborrhea, Dandruff, Mange, Itch Relief, Acne and Folliculitis, Citrus Scent, 12 oz
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated shampoo is used for pets be that dogs or cat. It is useful in treating skin problems like Dandruff, Seborrhea, Itch relief, mange, Citrus scent and Follicilitis, just to name a few. This antifungal and antiseptic shampoo is best suited for any skin with irritation and fungal attack. It cleanses the coats of the pet finely and then degreases it too.
It is made up of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, i Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, and micronized sulfur. This combination has antiseptic properties as well as useful in increasing the keratotic and kerato plastic activity.
- Soap-free formula
- Helpful in reducing demodectic mange.
- Relieves from itchy skin.
- Reduces the irritation caused by dermatitis, mites and folliculitis.
- It is natural and soft on skin as it is soap and paraben free.
- Made in USA and follows the safety and quality measures.
- The cost of the product is competitively high.
- Higher quantity of the shampoo is needed for best results
This shampoo is very good on pet that cleanse then, does not dry their coat. This is a medicated shampoo with right amount of benzoyl peroxide that helps in keeping the dog’s skin fresh.
Skin irritation in dogs is a common thing. The Nootie Antifungal and antibacterial medicated shampoo is the best solution that will help you cure your dog problem, that too in a pocket friendly way. This shampoo is made up of regenerating oils and compounds along with 2% Miconazole Nitrate and 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate. It cleans and rejuvenates the skin of your pet along with reducing the disinfecting it.
- A little shampoo can do wonders on your pet skin.
- It strengthens the coats and reduces irritation.
- Pocket-friendly prices
- The essential oils used in the Shampoo helps in soothing the itchiness.
- Also useful for other pets like horses and Cats.
- Also useful for scaly skin.
- Not very effective for severe conditions of fungal attack
Nootie medicated shampoo is useful when the pets are tired with their fungal skin problems. It helps in reducing those problems and makes their coat shiny. A little amount of it needs to be used on the pet and thus it is recommended product for the dogs as well as other pets.
As the name suggest the triple action Flea and Tick shampoo is an ideal product for reducing the attack of fleas on the fur of the dog. It is can be used for puppies or kittens who are more than 12 weeks old. It contains lanolin, aloe and coconut extracts which are very useful for moisturizing the skin along with cleansing it. This shampoo is used by many for treating the problem of fleas and tick that attacks the fur of their pets.
- Good for treating skin problem related to bugs.
- The smell of the shampoo is very good.
- The shampoo has very gentle effect on the skin of the pet.
- It helps in restoring luster of the coat.
- Contains protein conditioners for soothing the skin.
- The cost of the shampoo is a bit on higher side.
- It is not very effective when the problem of fleas is too much.
It is an outstanding vet product that takes proper care of the pets whether it’s a dog or a cat. Although it cost a bit high but after applying it on the pet one can actually feel its usefulness.
Pro Pet Works Hypoallergenic Organic Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo and Conditioner for Allergies and Pets with Sensitive Itchy Dry Skin 17oz
Pro Pet is a hypo allergic shampoo for dogs and others pets that are suffering from allergies from food, grass and fleas. Along with other components it contains almond oils, organic aloe extracts, and vitamins A, D & E. it is soft on the coat and does not leave it dry. It is hard on the dirt and not on the coats. It is mainly meant for pets who are over 12 weeks of age. It has smell of Cherry and almond that makes it more useful.
- Best for sensitive skin as it is PH balanced.
- There are no animal or alcohol by products making them safe.
- Helpful in eliminating any we dog smell.
- Is free of artificial colors, toxins and hence does not irritate the nose of the pet while bathing.
- Soothes the skin and hence is easy to brush the fur.
- It is made with recyclable products and is 100% biodegradable.
- Developed and manufactured in USA.
- It is a costlier product than other shampoos.
- Cannot be used on pets be that dog, cat or rabbit till they are of 12 weeks.
It is one of the few nature-friendly pet products which keep the dogs in good aroma and with a clean coat.
Can human (regular) shampoo be used on dogs?
It is your dog and you can certainly do that, but if I were you I would not have done it. Using them once or twice is okay, but sticking to the regular human shampoo will lead to various skin issues with the pooch.
Dogs need to be bathed with shampoos that are alkaline in nature and human shampoos are marginally acidic, which could harm the sensitive skin of thee dogs.
Can I use baby shampoo on my dog?
Till the time your dogs needs a special shampoo to get rid of the fleas, baby shampoo can be used for dogs. Shampoos with tearless formula are preferred as that will not cause trouble or pain during the bathing. However, like anything else, using too much of the baby shampoo is also not recommended.
Can I bathe my dog with head and shoulders shampoo?
Yes, you can. However, you can do that only if the dog is suffering from seborrhea, wherein the skin would become greasy, scaly and itchy, you can use head and shoulders shampoo.
The presence of pyrithione zinc, which is an antiseborrheic, antifungal, and antibacterial ingredient helps in removing the yeast or bacteria which helps in soothing and healing the skin.
How often should I bathe my dog with flea shampoo?
That would depend on how many fleas your dog has in his skin. If the number of leas is more (you would understand by itching frequencies), you would need to bathe him using a flea shampoo once a week or once in every ten days, till the time the fleas are all gone. Otherwise, once a month should be fine.
How to bathe a puppy without shampoo?
If you have run out of the shampoo and it’s bathing time for the pooch, there is no need to alter the routine. You can bathe him with plain water and that would be fine to get rid of the dirt and mud that would be there on the coat. A quick vinegar rinse will get rid of the odors if any and will also make the coat softer.
If you have time, try making some DIY shampoo which does not take more than 10 minutes to be prepared. Giving a dry bath by rubbing baking soda on the coat and brushing it off is also a nice way to remove contaminants and leave the dog smell good.
What shampoo is good for dogs?
Even the best vet or the most expert breeder will not have a definite answer to this. There is no shampoo that will be deemed good for all dogs. Every dog has its own requirements, skin types and issues and hence the shampoo needs to be altered as per the need.
However, I recommend shampoos with natural ingredients over those heavy duty shampoos with chemicals as that reduce chances of skin irritation and other topical problems from cropping up.
Video: Choosing The Best Pet Shampoo
Now that you have gone through the list of shampoos and conditioners that I recommend, it should be fairly easy for you to choose the best one for your canine friend.
If you want to give the most customized bathing solution to your dog, all you have to do is know about the need of the dog and match that with any of the 19 products that are reviewed above. Hopefully you would not be required to spend any additional time looking here and there for finding the best shampoo for your pet dog.