Krill oil is obtained from a shrimp-like fish which is found in the Antarctic Ocean and North Pacific Ocean. Krill is the diet of several sea creatures like baleen whales, whale sharks and mantas. Many researchers have discovered that krill oil contains an omega-3 oil compound which is as beneficial as fish oil. It has health benefits for both animals and humans alike. Krill oil for dogs can reduce cholesterol level, enhance blood circulation and reduce swelling.
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
For an overall healthy dog who takes a well-balanced commercial diet that contains a proper and recommended amount of Omega-3 supplementations require only a 150 mg of oil every day. If the pet is heavily leaning towards the oil, then you must increase the dosage as it signals for weakness and desire for a healthier food. Omega-6 fatty acids found in krill oil for pets is helpful in promoting their healthy growth. When finding a product, seek the following:
- The dosage for dogs of each capsule
- The processing method and other ingredients mixed like vegetable oils
- Check the amount of phospholipids
- Read the reviews and benefits of each product online
1. What is the recommended dosage of krill oil?
The recommended amount for healthy dogs is 150 mg per day.
2. What should I remember about krill oil?
When giving your dog krill oil, remember that contains calorific value and fatty acids. So ensure that your dog would not face further problems.
3. How does krill oil help?
Krill oil helps in reducing the amount of cholesterol in the body which maintains the weight of your pet. It also improves the circulation in the body, gives better oxygen and enhances performance and brain activity.
4. How to give krill oil to pets?
Most of the products come in capsule form. Give the whole of it to your dog. Krill is as good for humans as dogs, so there are no side effects of it.
Product Name Features Rating
Viva Labs Krill Oil Easy to digest, no aftertaste, great product 5 star
DR MERCOLA Krill Oil Capsules, 180 Count, Rich in antioxidants, balanced amount of krill oil, all organic 4 star
Now Foods Neptune Krill Oil 500mg 120 softgels Rich source of anti-oxidants, Astaxanthin 5 star
Grizzly pet products Antioxidant Astaxanthin, boost immune system 4 star
NWC Naturals Krill Oil Supplements for Pet 3X formula, healthy for digestion 5 star
Viva labs krill oil comes with 1,250mg of krill oil with 500mg of total phospholipids that delivers an amazing concentration of active krill ingredients. It improves the quality of the krill oil, the patented liquid encapsulation system is free of binders and unwanted bands commonly used for the manufacturing of soft gels. This product is tightly sealed with a protective band that offers defense against oxidation and eliminating aftertaste and fish odor.
It is tested and approved by IKOS. It contains healthy anti-oxidants and the capsules are easy and small to digest.
- Best anti-inflammatory
- Leaves no after taste
- Rich source of omega-6 fatty acids
- It has a great quality
- The capsules start leaking after a while
- Some dogs would show no difference at all
Viva Labs Krill Oil Recommended By Us
The krill oil is rich in omega-3 oils, astaxanthin and phospholipids that helps increase the omega-3 levels and antioxidants in the body. You do not have to worry about the pollutants and potential contaminants that are seen in fish oils. The benefits of krill oil for dogs can be fully reaped by this product that is MSC certified and ensures no traces of non-krill compounds. It is freshly manufactured and is healthy for both pets and humans.
- Leaves healthy effects on the body of your pet
- There are no artificial flavors
- It is overall a good product
- The product packaging is not good
- The ingredients are controversial, like the existence of Tilapia
- It is expensive
Neptune Krill oil is popular for its fatty acids profile, rich anti-oxidant content and balanced fatty acid content. It contains a healthy amount of Omega-3 fatty acids. It is a rich source of anti-oxidants, Astaxanthin and other ingredients healthy for immune system.
Clinical reports suggest that this oil is great for healthy blood levels, joint comfort, and premenstrual syndrome. Neptune Krill oil is manufactured with strict quality standards. It is free of every harmful contaminants like heavy metals, mercury and more.
- Great for pets who are suffering from digestive problems and muscles weakness
- Fresh products
- Fast results
- Leaves an after taste of fish
- The capsules are too big
- The packaging could have been better
Check Price & Availability The Now Foods Neptune Krill Oil 500mg 120 softgels
Grizzly oil comes with a rich amount of antioxidant Astaxanthin. It significantly enhances the immune system of the dog and helps in fighting against the free radicals. It is free of harmful molecules which affect the health of your dog. This free radical product aids in healthy digestion and is obtained from Antarctic Krill.
- It is a great quality product which leaves good results on the pet and humans alike
- Improves the coat of the dog
- Aids in digestion
- It is good but dogs do not like the taste
- Some dogs may get allergic to it
- Strong fish smell
The company has just release the 3X formula which is highly beneficial than ordinary krill oil. It is great for the pets who do not like the fishy breath. It is a rich source of omega 3 oils and anti-oxidants. It is more digestible than fish oil. Tri-Krill formula comes with maximum oil benefits. It aids pets who are suffering from arthritis. It has great mobility and flexibility that supports healthy skin and shiny coat.
- It is a better source than fish oil
- Comes in good condition
- Aids in supporting healthy skin and coat
- Dogs may not like the taste
- Can be too big for the dogs
Video: Krill Oil for Dogs and Cats
Krill oil is a helpful aid for supporting healthy immune system. It is a great source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. Krill oil is easy to absorb by the body. When it comes to selecting the product, what is important is that your pet likes it. Many dogs run away from krill oil because of its taste. Krill oil for dogs can leave a bad aftertaste and fish burps.
However, some of the products like NWC natural krill and Viva labs krill oil have no after taste with the same benefits. Overall, all the five product of the list are some of the best, and have brilliant benefits for the skin, coat and joints.
- When buying dog krill oil ensure that it contains no heavy metals, mercury and flavoring
- It should not sell any other fish oil in the name of krill oil
- Add the capsules in the food of your pet so that they can easily consume it.