Top 5 Low Sodium Dog Food
Latest Update: June 29, 2017
- Age Range Description
- Item Dimensions
- Item Weight
- Special Ingredients
- Our editors rating
- Price range
- Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food – Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
- 24 x 20 x 5.5 in
- 15.5 lbs
- Easy digestion, balanced & complete nutrition
- Vitamin E & other nutrients
- Clinically proven antioxidant benefits
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- 9.2 of 10
- Royal Canin Early Cardiac Dog Food – ROYAL CANIN Canine Early Cardiac Dry
- 17.6 lbs
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Moderated sodium content
- Boosted B vitamins and added nutrients
- 8.8 of 10
- Hill’s Prescription Diet – Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dry Dog Food
- 17.6 lbs
- High level of taurine
- Low level of sodium
- Increased B-vitamins and magnesium
- 10 of 10
- The Honest Kitchen Dog Food – The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food
- 11.5 x 10 x 6 in
- 10 lbs
- All natural
- Made in the USA
- No by-products, preservatives or GMO ingredients
- Organic whole grain
- 8.6 of 10
- Purina Veterinary Diets – Purina Veterinary Diets Canine NF Kidney Function Dry Dog Food 6 lb Bag
- 6 lbs
- Low sodium and potassium
- Food balanced for normal operation of renal system
- Boosted omega-3 and omega-6
- 7.6 of 10
Has the vet recommended you to give low sodium treats in order to ensure that your dog doesn’t suffer from cardiac disease or high blood pressure? Are you wondering which will be the best low sodium dog food in the market that will not damage the health of your dog?
Being a responsible owner of a pet, it is extremely necessary that your pet eats food with low level of sodium in order to get rid of some of common health disorders such as heart failure, kidney issues and hydration
Since there are wide variety of options available in the market, choosing the best dog food brands can certainly be a very stressful job for a person who is going to have a puppy or dog for the first time in their house. In order to help you in getting rid of this situation, below I have highlighted some of the popular low salt dog food products that will certainly not result to a bad effect to the health of your dog.
Being a proud owner of a dog, you will not just be able to fulfill the nutritional requirements of your dog but will also be able to prevent any sort of bad impact to the health of your dog due to kidney failure or cardiac disease.
The health of your dog certainly depends upon the type of food that it eats daily. Each and every dog food that is available in the market contains some amount of salt or sodium and thereby excess of it can certainly lead to different types of health disorders such as congestive heart failure.
According to medical report highlighted by Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources, a division of the U.S.National Academy of Sciences and National Research Council, it has been found that a dog weighing 33 pounds must not consume more than 100mg of sodium a day.
Below I have recommended some of the best low sodium dog food which is highly popular among the dog lovers. Besides this, by going through the below lines you will also be able to become aware about the best possible way to choose low sodium canned dog food.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food – Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
2. Royal Canin Early Cardiac Dog Food – ROYAL CANIN Canine Early Cardiac Dry
3. Hill’s Prescription Diet – Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dry Dog Food
4. The Honest Kitchen Dog Food – The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food
5. Purina Veterinary Diets – Purina Veterinary Diets Canine NF Kidney Function Dry Dog Food 6 lb Bag
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
Buying a specific low salt dog food can certainly be very stressful if you are not aware about the basics. While choosing a dog food without salt¸ I will certainly recommend my readers to gain detail information about the reputation of the brand in the market.
While choosing one of the low sodium dog food brands, it will be wise for you to devote ample amount of time and thereby get to choose a specific one that will provide proper nutrition to your sweet dog. Some of the factors that I generally consider while buying dog food with low sodium are
- The age of the dog.
- Current heath condition of the dog like whether it’s suffering from any type of disease.
- What are the nutritional needs of the dog?
- Check the label properly in order to analyze the ingredients present in the specific dog food.
- Compare the ingredients of each of the reputed brands in order to choose the one that will fulfill the nutritional needs of the pet.
- Check the manufacturing date of the food to ensure that it’s fresh.
- Check whether the food has been approved by AAFCO or Association of American Feed Control Officials. AAFCO assures that a specific food has been prepared keeping in mind about the nutritional needs of a dog.
- Go through the label to check for the amount of protein, fiber and fat that the dog food contains. This will help you to become aware whether a specific food will be suitable for your dog.
- If you are unable to decide which will be the best food for your dog then it will certainly be wise for you to consult a veterinarian and get to choose the one that will fulfill its nutritional needs.
- It will be wise for you to gain information about the best possible way to store the food in order to prevent wastage.
While buying dry food for your dog, I will recommend you to check that the product has made from natural ingredients to make sure that it does not hamper the health of your pet. Besides this, it will also be wise for you to have a consultation with the veterinarian and thereby get to choose the best low sodium dog food that will ensure proper health of your dog.
I have given below a table that will help you in becoming aware about the top low salt dog food available in the market. All these food products have good nutritional value. If you are still wondering whether these low sodium dog treats will be suitable for your pet then make sure to consult a veterinarian. Besides this, it will also be wise for you to store the food in a proper manner to make sure that it does not affect the health of your dog.
There are different types of low sodium food brands available in the market and thereby it will certainly be wise for you to go through the below lines and thereby get to check the one that will fulfill the nutritional needs of your dog. The below reviews will help you in gaining vital information about the best low sodium dog products that are popular among the pet lovers.
If you are in search of a highly delicious low salt dog food for your pet then Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food must be your first choice. This dog food has been specially designed for the dogs that have a sensitive stomach and generally suffer from upset stomach and occasional loose stools.
Some of the vital ingredients used in the preparation of the food that helps in maintaining low sodium levels in dogs are Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Sorghum, Pea Protein and Cracked Pearled Barley. Besides these, some of the other ingredients are pork fat, soybean oil, chicken liver oil, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, vegetable and fruit blend. Even though some of the ingredients offer lots of grains but you can even be able to provide high level of protein to your dog.
The food is best for the dogs that are not allergic to chicken and even has the ability to tolerate moderate level of pea protein in the best possible way. I generally recommend this dog food because it contains wonderful additives such as L-Tryptophan that can effectively help in building protein block and even acts as a precursor for the Auxin, serotonin and Niacin.
- This wonderful dog food is easily digestible.
- Rich in Vitamin C&E and thereby help in maintaining healthy immune system.
- Omega 6 fatty acids and Vitamin E help in promoting glossy and healthy skin of your dog.
- Has been made from natural ingredients and thereby no artificial preservatives have been added.
- The best low sodium dog food has been made from clinically proven antioxidant.
- The food is not suitable for puppies and pregnant dogs.
ROYAL CANIN Canine Early Cardiac Dry food is a balanced and highly digestible food that will certainly fulfill the nutritional requirements of your dog. Some of the major ingredients that have been used for the preparation of this wonderful dry food are chicken fat, rice, soy protein isolate, L-carnitine, L- arginine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Rosemary Extract and many more.
Besides this, Royal Canin early cardiac dog food also offers 3680 of Metabolizable energy/ kilogram. I generally consider Royal Canin early cardiac dog food- ROYAL CANIN Canine Early Cardiac Dry for my dog because it contains amino acids such as taurine, arginine and cartinine that can effectively improve heart function of the dog.
The dog food has been specially prepared to minimize the sodium intake and fluid retention by the body. According to clinical studies, it has been found that a dog may suffer from different types of progressive heart diseases and thereby combination balanced diet and medical therapy can effectively help the dog in getting rid of these diseases.
- The food is easily digestible.
- It has a pleasant taste and thereby your dog will love to have it.
- Being rich in Omega-3 acid will ensure proper cardiovascular functioning. Besides this, being a balanced diet your dog will certainly be able to get rid of the risk of suffering from cardiac disease.
- Rich in carnitine, taurine and arginine and thereby your dog will enjoy optimal cardiac health.
- It has been preserved naturally with the help of tocopherols and hence will help in boosting the immune system.
- It contains polyphenols that can help in neutralizing the free radicals in an effective way.
- Low sodium level in the dog food helps in reducing the undue pressure on the heart.
- Royal Canin early cardiac dog food- ROYAL CANIN Canine Early Cardiac Dry contains lower level of phosphorous and thereby your dog will certainly be able to get rid of the risk of suffering from chronic renal failure.
- The dog food is suitable for all types of breeds regardless of whether it is medium, small or large.
- The dog food has been specially formulated for the dogs suffering from class I-II cardiac disease
- Non chelated minerals have been used to prepare this dog food.
Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dry Dog Food has been specially formulated with low level of sodium and thereby is highly recommended for the dogs that are suffering from hypertension, fluid retention and heart disease. The food has been uniquely prepared with the ingredients from Australia, New Zealand and Europe and North America.
Major ingredients that are present in this low salt dog food are Rice Protein, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Pork Fat, L-Lysine, Folic Acid, Magnesium Oxide, L-carnitine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, DL-Methionine, Mixed Tocopherols, Calcium Carbonate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soy Protein Isolate, Egg Product, Pork Fat, etc.
All the ingredients have been uniquely blended to prepare this food in order to make sure that your dog experiences good heart function and normal blood pressure. The Hill’s Prescription Diet h/d Cardiac Health Dry Dog Food has been specially designed to make sure that your dog’s lifestyle and activity does not change even after it ages.
- The best low sodium dog food is rich in vital ingredients required for proper health of your dog’s heart.
- Low level of sodium to ensure normal blood pressure.
- L-carnitine helps in muscle metabolism.
- Effectively helps in minimizing the fluid retention level.
- Magnesium and B- vitamins will help in restoring the vital nutrients that dog may loss after receiving diuretics.
- Will help in improving the vital functions of the kidney.
- Helps in enhancing the immune system smartly.
- Brand has used clinically proven antioxidants for the preparation of the dog food.
- High level of taurine in the food will help in supporting cardiac muscle metabolism.
- The food has been specially prepared to support the dogs that are undergoing chemotherapy.
- The brand offers 100% satisfaction guarantee on this product and thereby urges its customers to return back the unused portion and get full refund of the money.
The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Grain Dog Food has been made from natural and whole food ingredients. Being termed as human grade, the company has taken utmost level of care to make sure that no chemicals is used during the formulation of the best low sodium food for dogs. Besides this, the dog food is manufactured in the human grade facilities that prepare food consumed by human.
Chief ingredients present in this dog food are turkey, potato, celery, flaxseed, carrot, spinach, coconut, organic kelp, apples, cranberries, bananas, choline chloride, tricalcium phosphate, vitamin E supplement, copper amino acid chelate, potassium chloride, carrot, etc. This wonderful dog foood has been minimally processed and thereby you can ensure that your dog will not suffer from appetite woos, scratching, upset tummies and itching.
The brand takes utmost level of care to make sure that natural, wholesome and even high quality ingredients are used for the preparation of the dog food. I offer this dog food low in sodium to my cute pet because it is not just only delicious but also healthy too.
- It is a human grade dog food.
- Food is high in calorie and protein and thereby is extremely effective for active puppies and dogs.
- Highly delicious dog food.
- It has been made from 100% human grade ingredients. No GMO ingredients, by-products or preservatives have been used for the preparation of the dog food.
- This dog food can be easily prepared by just adding warm water. Make sure to stir it well properly and even leave it for 3 minutes before serving it.
- This popular dog food has been minimally processed.
- All the vital ingredients that have been used in preparation of the dog food are from America.
- The Honest kitchen dog food is AAFCO complete and hence is suitable for puppies of all ages.
- The unique dehydration process used during preparation of the food helps in maintaining color and taste in the best possible way
- May smell like fish.
If you are in search of balanced diet for your pet dog then it will certainly be wise for you to go for Purina Veterinary Diets Canine NF Kidney Function Dry Dog Food. The vital ingredients that are present in this dog food are brewers rice, potassium citrate, Ground yellow corn, chloride, vegetable oil, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), biotin, niacin, riboflavin supplement, zinc oxide, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, animal digest, etc.
- It is a complete balanced nutrition.
- Contains low level of phosphorous, sodium and protein.
- Good source of Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids and potassium.
- The food targets the pH-alkaline.
- The vital ingredients such as omega-6 and omega-3 bolster, low potassium and sodium will help in proper operation of renal system of your dog.
What amount of sodium is required by dogs?
In general, a dog weighing 33 pounds must not have more than 100mg of sodium per day.
What are the effects of high sodium level in dogs?
High level of sodium in dogs can lead to diabetes, heart diseases and high blood pressure.
What are the symptoms of high blood pressure in dogs?
Some common symptoms of high blood pressure in dogs are vomiting, coma, diarrhea, lower water intake.
How to test sodium level in dogs?
It is highly recommended to consult veterinarian and conduct tests such as urine analysis and complete blood count.
What amount of low sodium dog treats must be offered to the dogs?
The eating habits of dogs may differ from breed to breed and thereby it will certainly be wise for you to check out the guidelines on the label of the dog food package. If you still face any sort of problem then make sure to consult a veterinarian.
What is the process to store dog food?
The dog food must be stored in a dry and cool environment. Keeping in tight containers will not just only help you in retaining the freshness and flavor of the food but will also ensure that the vital ingredients do not get destructed.
Video: Make Your Own Easy Dog Food!
Since, now you have become aware about the bad effects of providing food with high sodium level to dogs, it will certainly be wise for you to choose one of the best low sodium products from the above list that I usually offer my pet.
The heart is one of the most vital organs of your dog and thereby it will be wise for you to choose one of the best low sodium dog food products that have been discussed above. These are clinically proven low sodium food for dogs and thereby you can be assured that your dog’s health and activities will not get affected even if it becomes old.
If you wish to maintain proper health of your dog and even fulfill its nutritional needs then make sure to choose one of the above dog food brands that I have discussed above.
Food that you offer to your dog plays an important role on the overall health of your dog and thereby it will always be wise for you to choose the best. Make sure to go through the label of the product in detail in order to become aware about the best one that fulfills nutritional need of your dog.
If you’re interested in reading similar articles, here’s good one on Grain Free Dog Treats.
Worried about the health of your dog. Then read more about your pet: