Top 5 Dog Food for Dachshunds
Latest Update: August 06, 2019
While the general perception about Dachshunds is that they are family dogs, the reality is that they are basically the smallest breeds of hounds that were meant for hunting more than anything else. A Dachshund has the characteristic features of long floppy ears, long body and strikingly short legs.
Although small in size, Dachshunds are powerhouses of energy and hence it is important that you choose the best dog for Dachshunds which will provide the adequate amount of energy for the dog to carry on with its regular activities.
While talking of dog foods, it is important to know that what the Dachshund should be fed with. There are so many dog food products available in the market. Can you feed any of them to your Dachshund? The answer cannot be given with a simple yes or no.
Like other dogs, Dachshunds need a lot of protein in their diet. Hence, any dog food that has good protein content is good for Dachshunds. At the same time Dachshunds have a natural tendency to gain weight. This means that dog foods which have high fat content should be a strict no-no for Dachshunds.
This is why the dog food for Dachshund has to be carefully chosen so that it provides all the necessary nutrients to the dog, and at the same time does not help in adding weight to the poor animal.
1. Wild Calling Rocky Mountain Medley – Trout/Lamb/Turkey Meal
2. PetCurean 152412 Go Fit Plus Free Grain Free Senior for Dog
3. Tuscan Natural Pet Food Grain Free Carne Dog Food Recipe
4. Dogswell 842442 Nutrisca Dogs Salmon/Chicken Pea Food for Pets
5. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
6. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Adult Dog Food
7. Diamond Naturals Dry Food for Puppy
8. AvoDerm Small Breed Dog Food, Natural Chicken Meal and Brown Rice, Formula
9. Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Dry Puppy Food
10. Merrick Classic Grain Free Small Breed Canned Dog Food
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews.
While buying the best food for Dachshunds, you will have to consider a few points. To begin with, the Dachshund diet should have high contents of protein as that is required to build the muscles which a Dachshund needs to keep up with its required activity levels. Some other points that need to be considered while buying dog food include the following.
- The food should not have more than 5% fiber as it could become difficult for the GI system to digest the extra fiber
- Food with high fat content should be avoided strictly. Due to their body structure, little obesity can cause dangerous amount of stress on the hips and joints of Dachshunds which is not good for the dog in the longer run.
- Foods with glucosamine are very good for Dachshunds as it helps in avoiding musculoskeletal diseases like IVDD or intervertebral disk disease which is very common in Dachshunds. Glucosamine helps in supporting the joints and the bones, thereby keeping the dog away from the threats of IVDD or osteogenesis imperfect which is also referred to as the brittle bone disease.
- Products that contain whole meat or fresh fruits and vegetables should be considered with priority as they serve as great sources of protein
- Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids help in promoting the health of the skin and the shine of the coat. So in case you are not treating your dog with probiotics separately, do keep an eye on the Omega fatty acid content while you buy the best food.
Basis the above requirements, I have reviewed the top dog food products that are available currently. The main things that have been checked in these reviews are the protein content and the nutritional values that are being offered by the dog food.
The Wild Calling Rocky Mountain Medley recipe contains trout, lamb and turkey meal which gives the food a different taste than the regular dog foods that contains chicken meals or salmon meals. With 55% wild meat, fish and poultry, the Rocky Mountain medley is specially formulated for dogs like Dachshunds that are active and full with energy at any time of the day.
With fruits and vegetables and extra nutrients, this dry dog food contains everything that is needed to keep your Dachshund healthy. The grain free formula also makes it the best food for dogs with skin allergies as well.
- Does not contain fillers like wheat, corn or soy
- Grain and gluten free formula
- Contains 32% crude protein derived from 3 different sources
- Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids promote healthier skin and shinier coat
- Backed by full refund policy
- Available in different flavors and sizes
- Made in USA
- Could not find any
With animal protein from various species, this meat-based dog food is certainly one of the best which is available in the market currently. I recommend this enthusiastically to those who are looking for something that will add nutrients to their dog’s body without adding any fat.
Click Now To View The Wild Calling Dog Food Rocky Mountain
If you are struggling with the overweight nature of your Dachshund, you would find some relief in knowing that this is the best dog food for overweight Dachshunds. Prepared with omega oils and premium quality proteins, makes this the ideal dog food for providing optimal health to the pooch.
The formula contains pre and probiotics which promotes healthy digestive system. While meat content of the product serves as a sustained source of energy, balanced fat and proteins helps in weight management greatly.
- Added L-cartinine promotes fat burning and supports healthy heart
- Grain free formula
- Formulated without wheat, corn or soy
- 90 million CFU probiotics promote healthy digestive system
- Does not contain any artificial preservatives
- Available in different sizes – 6 lbs, 12 lbs and 25 lbs bags
- Not recommended for puppies
The Go! Brand of Petcurean is already recommended for dogs that re picky eaters or have skin allergies with a dull coat. The 152412 Go Fit plus Free Grain Free formula is no exception when it comes to provide the best health benefits to dogs that are suffering from allergies or are choosy when it comes to their food.
Click To See The Go Grain Free Dog Food Fit Plus Free
The innovative formula of the Tuscan natural pet food grain free Carne dog food recipe not only contains poultry but a good amount of fish as well. Stuffed with protein that is obtained from animal sources like chicken and turkey, this dog food also contains a good amount of apples, carrots and tomatoes which serve as a potent source of vegetable protein as well. The chicken and turkey are farm-raised which ensures that the quality of the meat is not compromised.
- Grain-free formula
- Contains high portions of Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids
- Farm raised turkey and chicken being used
- Contains 35% protein and 20% fat
- Contains alfalfa meal which cause gastritis or nausea in some dogs
If you have got a pooch that is really picky about its meal, this one is worth giving a try. The well balanced protein and fat in this dog food is good for dogs that need to maintain their weight.
Click Currently To View The Tuscan Natural Dog Food Grain Free Carne
The main ingredient of this wonderful dog food is salmon fish, which provides the right amount of much needed protein to dogs like Dachshunds. In addition to Salmon, menhaden fish meal also serves as a great source of fish oil in this dog food.
The presence of berries in great amount is particularly useful for the long life of Dachshunds as berries contain antioxidants, the key to a long life for Dachshunds. The formula is free of any potato or grains which make it even better for the sensitive dogs.
- Grain and gluten free recipe
- Formula does not contain potato
- Great balance of protein and fat
- Supports skin and coat health
- Promotes better digestion
- Does not contain too many vegetables
While the lack of veggies might raise some eyebrows, however the balanced protein content of the food is what makes me include this one in the list. The high content of antioxidants is also another great plus points that make me think that this is the best food for your dog.
Press Presently To See The Nutrisca Dog Food Salmon/Chicken Pea
The Core natural grain free dry dog food boasts about its extra meat content which is about 80% more meat than the common dog foods which are stuffed with grains and fillers. The kibbles are stuffed with antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and probiotics which help in promoting the optimal good health in dogs like Dachshunds.
- 100% natural ingredients
- No grains or glutens in the formula
- Available in three sizes – 4 lbs, 12 lbs, and 26 lbs bags
- Available in 5 different flavors
- Dedicated flavor for small breed dogs
- Backed by Wellness guarantee
- Proudly made in USA
- There aren’t any
With premium quality natural ingredients, the Core natural grain free dry dog food brings about 5 health benefits to dogs that include better skin and coat, improved digestive system, healthier eyes, teeth and gums, stronger immune system and finally high levels of energy which is an essential thing for active dogs like Dachshunds.
Press Here To View The Wellness Core Grain Free Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Adult Dog Food provides a balanced combination of proteins and carbs which are good for muscle development and energy for the dog respectively. The food is a perfect blend of all necessary nutrients like calcium, phosphorous, glucosamine, vitamins, antioxidants and what not!
The best part is that is does not contain any meat by-products and is made of pure deboned chicken and meat. The product contains 7 antioxidant-rich which are spinach, apples, pumpkins, pomegranate, blackberries, blueberries and cranberries.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Antioxidants strengthen the immune system
- Glucosamine supports health of hips and joints
- Two differently shaped kibbles which suits the mouth size of the dogs
- Available in 4 different sizes – 4 lbs, 6 lbs, 15lbs and 30 lbs
- Available in many flavors
- Made in Connecticut, USA
- Contains garlic which can be toxic for some dogs
The Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Adult Dog Food can be given to dogs during all stages of life. The best thing about this dog food is that it is equally good for small as well as large breed dogs.
Press Now To See The Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food Life Protection
The Diamond Naturals Dry Food has two variants – one for small breed puppies and one for large breed puppies. The dog food contains all the required nutrients that are needed by puppies during their growing years. A healthy bone and joint development is promoted by calcium and phosphorus that is present in commendable quantities in this best food for puppy.
It also contains DHA, which is very much required for the development of brain and eye. The presence of L-Cartinine helps in burning fat and converts it to energy which is very much required for the growing puppy to get a lean body.
- Formula free of wheat, corn or soy
- Contains DHA for brain and eye development
- Contains balanced Omega fatty acids which is good for the skin health and shine of the coat
- Available in 4 different sized bags – 6lbs, 18 lbs, 20 lbs and 40 lbs
- Manufactured in USA facilities
- It is not a grain-free formula
- Not to be fed to adult dogs
The only hitch of the Diamond Naturals Dry Food is that it does not contain adequate amount of fiber which needs the owner to supplement the diet of the pooch with extra fiber.
Push Here To View The Diamond Naturals Puppy Food
Meant specifically for small breed dogs like Dachshunds, AvoDerm natural chicken meal and brown rice has two formulas that can be fed to both adults as well as puppies. The dog food contains avocado which is a super food and a rich source of 20 vitamins and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
The inclusion of avocado in the formula makes the dog food highly effective in providing a healthier skin and coat to the dog. The kibbles of the dog food are designed specifically for the small mouth of small breeds. All in all, this one is a dog food that has the perfect balance of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and most importantly protein.
- Formulated especially for small breed adults and puppies
- Puppy formula contains DHA which is essential for healthy development of brain and eyes
- Contains avocados which are rich in omega and about 20 vitamins
- Does not contain any fillers like wheat, corn or artificial colors
- No animal by-products included in the formula
- Can be fed to cats as well
- Made in the USA
- Large packets not available
- Not suitable for larger breeds
The formula of AvoDerm natural chicken meal and brown rice is specifically designed for dogs that weigh below 20 lbs. The balanced nutrition that is provided by this food is very essential for puppies during their growing years.
Click Here To View The AvoDerm Small Breed Dog Food
The grain free formula of Blue Buffalo dry puppy food is available for both large and small breeds. It is the small breed dog food that would be ideal for Dachshunds. The small breed formula contains all the essential nutrients which are required by the Dachshund puppy to grow into a healthy adult.
The presence of DHA and ARA promotes the development of the brain and the eyes, which is very much essential for puppies. The best thing about this dog food is the small and dark kibbles which are mixed with the other kibbles. These small and unique kibbles are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which help in the healthy growth of the puppies.
- Deboned chicken is the first ingredient
- Does not contain any wheat, soy or corn or animal by-products
- Does not contain any artificial color, flavor or preservatives
- Available in 3 sizes – 4 lbs, 11 lbs, 24 lbs bags
- Small and unique kibbles that are best suited for puppies
- Made in USA
- Contains alfalfa meal which can cause GI issues in some dogs
The high protein content, DHA and antioxidants make the Blue Buffalo dry puppy food ideal for puppies during their growing years. The availability of the dry dog food separately for large breeds ensures that the dogs get nutrition as per their needs and makes this one a favorite food for most Dachshunds.
Check Price & Availability The Blue Buffalo Puppy Food Grain Free
In the crowd of dry dog foods for Dachshunds, I could not miss out on mentioning about the Merrick Classic Grain Free Small Breed Canned Dog Food. Available in three different flavors, this tasty food contains deboned beef/chicken/turkey meat as the major ingredient. To meet the nutritional requirements of the food, it is stuffed with sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, apples, green beans and many more things.
The best thing about the product that makes me include this one in this list is the high content of Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin. While the omega fatty acids are good for the skin and the coat of the Dachshund, glucosamine is very much essential for the hips and joint’s health, which is a common problem seen in Dachshunds.
- Grain-free formula
- Formulated especially for toy and small breed dogs
- All ingredients sourced in the USA only
- Available in three different flavors
- Rich in Omega fatty acids and glucosamine
- Can be fed to dogs of all age groups
- Protein content is low at minimum 9%
- Not recommended for large breed dogs
The semi-solid canned food from Merrick is ideal for dogs that do not like being fed with dry kibbles. This one is ideal for changing the taste of dogs that are constantly fed with dry dog food. Try it for once and see how excited your Dachshund would be when it gets to eat the tasty food that is not solid and not gravy either.
Merrick Grain Free Canned Dog Food Recommended By Us
How many times should I feed my Dachshund puppy?
Dachshund puppies need to be fed at least 3 times daily. As the puppy grows, the quantity of food that is given to it needs to be increased as well. Do check out the feeding instructions at the back of the dog food packet where the quantity of food would be mentioned as per the age and weight of the dog.
What is a safe food for a Dachshund?
A Dachshund is a dog at the end of the day and hence it needs eat meat. Processed foods are a strict no-no for Dachshunds as their digestive systems cannot handle the preservatives well. If you cannot cook the meal and have to depend on dog foods, try to choose the ones which have high meat content in their formula. The food should contain at least 10% moisture.
Can I give only vegetarian food to my Dachshund?
By giving only vegetarian food, you would be depriving your beloved Dachshund of the animal proteins which is required for its healthy life. Like any dog, a Dachshund is also a carnivore and it needs meat to meet the protein requirements of its body.
What is the best dog food for a Dachshund?
There are many dog foods which can be considered as the best one for a Dachshund. Depending on whether your Dachshund is a puppy or an adult one you may go for brands like Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Tuscan, or Wild Calling. None of the brands are bad as long as do not contain grains, gluten, artificial flavors and lack essential elements like Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and vitamins.
What should be the ideal weight of an adult Dachshund?
A standard sized adult Dachshund should weigh in the range of 16 to 32 pounds. The miniature version of the breed weighs in the range of 1 to 11 pounds only. If you find your dog going beyond that, it would be time to check his diet and make him do some running on the fields. You may want to make a note here that Dachshunds have a natural tendency towards obesity.
How much calorie intake is good for an adult Dachshund?
Considering that the adult Dachshund is an energetic canine that loves moving around in the house and is not a couch potato, it would need about 340-600 kcals per day. The miniature version of the breed would need about 230-265 kcals daily.
However, it is worth remembering that the caloric needs of Dachshunds would depend largely on the activity levels, age and health of the dog. To get a clearer picture on the caloric needs of your Dachshund, you may want to consult your vet.
How much protein should be fed to an adult Dachshund?
Like any other canine, Dachshunds need their diet to be rich in protein. Protein helps in muscle building in young Dachshunds and thus about 22% of their diet should come from protein-source foods. For adult Dachshunds, 19% of the diet should be coming from protein-source foods. The thumb rule is that the food that you are feeding your Dachshund with should contain 25% protein at least.
Video: How to Make Food for Your Pet
Click here to see video.
As already mentioned, Dachshunds have a natural tendency towards gaining weight which has a long term impact on the health of the dog. Hence, it is very important that the dog food that you choose for your Dachshund contains the right balance of protein, fat, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals so that the dog gets the right nutritional supplies from its food.
I have tried to review these dog food products as neutrally as possible. Almost all of them are sourced and manufactured in USA which does not leave any scope of any worries regarding the quality of the ingredients and making of the products. It is now your turns to check on the needs of your dog and select the best dog food out of the ones reviewed above and start feeding the right nutrition to your beloved Dachshund.
Best Dog Food by Breed
Looking for more information on the selection of food for your dog? Choose a breed and read.